Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Keno

Default Get number of a cell in a list.

Hi there im new and been using excel for a week or two now.
What I wanted to know is this, say I had a list of dates all in a
column and beside it I had another column and in this one I want a
formula to say were abouts in the list the cell next to it is for
example in cell D2 i want a formula that tells me what position in the
list the date in cell C2 is.
Sorry Im not very good at explaining this its for a group thing im
doing and if i put in the date of when the person joined it would tell
me what member they would be like the 93rd member or something. If you
want me to explain better i'll try, Thanks for any help.

--
Keno
Keno's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30832

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Try something like this:

For a list of dates in Cells A1:A100

C2: (some date)
D2: =MATCH(C2,$A$1:$A$100,0)

Does that help?

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Coderre
Ron Coderre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21419

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Keno

When I try that I get #NAME? in the cell.

--
Keno
Keno's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30832
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504956

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

The #NAME! error regarding a function usually indicates a spelling
error. Try copying the formula from this window and pasting it into
cell D2.

=MATCH(C2,$A$1:$A$100,0)

Does that help?

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Coderre
Ron Coderre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21419
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504956

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Keno

Well its working now but not the way I want, When I mean the cells
positions in a list I mean as if the dates were arranged in accending
order but because there not I wanted a quick way of seeing who joined
first and such.
So like from this list of dates this would be there order.
19/05/02 9
23/04/02 4
09/05/02 7
12/05/02 8
13/04/02 2
02/05/02 6
04/04/02 1
17/04/02 3
26/04/02 5
23/05/02 10
But I dont want to manually work out there number by looking at the
dates I want a formula to do it for me.

--
Keno
Keno's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30832
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504956

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

OK...got it, now....
How about this:

=RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$10)
Returns the relative position in the list. Note though, the largest
value ranks:1

To get what you posted, this may work for you:
=COUNT($A$1:$A$10)+1-RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$10)

Is that something you can work with?

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Coderre
Ron Coderre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21419
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504956

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Keno

Ah!! Thank you so much, This works Great!! :) I cant tell you how much
this helped Iv been trying to work it out for a few days now, Thanks
Again.

--
Keno
Keno's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30832
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504956

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Additional Info:

This version of the RANK function does exactly what you want:
=RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$10,1)

(I don't know why I didn't remember that in the first place!)

Ron

--
Ron Coderre
Ron Coderre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21419
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504956

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Keno

Just noticed some thing with this, used it on a list of dates with a few
repeated dates (incase I get members who joined the same day). Now it
gives people with the same day the same number but with the first
double date it done this.
19/04/02 7
13/04/02 5
09/04/02 4
19/04/02 7
04/04/02 2
17/04/02 6
03/04/02 1
23/04/02 9
04/04/02 2
It does the two dates but then misses out the number after it, see the
3 is missing and the eight?

--
Keno
Keno's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30832
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504956

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Correct....RANK displays ties, but leaves a placeholder for the
"missing" value.

How would you pefer to handle exact duplicates?

Ron