BEEZ

Default In Cell Validation List & Linked Cell VLOOKUP

Hi, I am trying to make a drop down list using in cell validation
data...This won't let me then link it to a cell. This causes a REF# error in
the Vlookup cell belowit that is refernced to a phone number list I have
created.
Any Help Would Be Great
Thx In advance.
Debra Dalgleish

You can use an IF formula to prevent errors from showing. For example:

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(C3,PhoneList,0)),VLOOKUP(C3,Pho neLookup,2,0),"")

Where the dropdown list is in cell C3, PhoneList is the list of number,
and PhoneLookup is the range with phone numbers and related data.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

BEEZ

BEEZ wrote:
Hi, I am trying to make a drop down list using in cell validation
data...This won't let me then link it to a cell. This causes a REF# error in
the Vlookup cell belowit that is refernced to a phone number list I have
created.
Any Help Would Be Great
Thx In advance.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

The drop Down Menu Has different Customer names and I want the Vlookup on the line below to refrence what ever name you pick and fill in the next three lines below it with phone#, address, Zip code etc. I thought my problem lied in the fact that it was a drop down menu that was started by creating an in cell list with Data validation, which won't let me link a cell to the list. Am I going about it totally a wrong way.

Debra Dalgleish

You should be able to reference the cell that contains the dropdown
list. There are instructions for a similar lookup he

http://www.contextures.com/xlOrderForm01.html

that might help you.

BEEZ wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Debra,
You seem to know your stuff pretty well so I'd like to ask a question.
I have a table of Member Types with associated Fee Types that is working
perfectly with VLookup when a member type is selected.
My problem is that I want the member to be able to enter a Minimum, Maximum
and Variance percentage MANUALLY, not pulled from the table.
However, the range they have available to them is based on their member
level, so their entry must be within that range.
For example;
A Gold Member may have a Minimum of 30%, a Maximum of 70% and a variance
maximum of 15%.
A Silver Member may have a Minimum of 40%, a Maximum of 60% and a variance
maximum of 10%.

In the Minimum cell, a Gold Member could enter a number as low as 30% up to
70%. A Silver Member could enter a number as low as 40% up to 60%.

In the Maximum cell, a Gold Member could enter a number as low as 30% (BUT
NOT LESS THAN THE NUMBER IN THE MINIMUM CELL!) up to 70%. A Silver Member
could enter a number as low as 40% (AGAIN, NOT LOWER THAN THE NUMBER IN THE
MINIMUM CELL) up to 60%.

I would like to have the numbers entered "validated" and a message to appear
if not within the ranges based on their member types. I've looked on your
site and many different places to combine the Validation Tables with Types
but with no luck. Can you offer any suggestion as to the best approach and
with an example of the function or code? Thanks!

BEEZ wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've added a sample file here, that may help you get started:

Under Data Validation, look for 'DV0050 - Data Validation Lookup'

BEEZ wrote:

[...]

Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html