Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
aaalissha

Default Carrying over background color to another worksheet

Hi,

I have an excel sheet which contains lot of data. And I am creating a
new sheet with only selected columns from the former sheet. When I do
that it doesn't copy the background colors of the original cell. I
don't need any other formats except background color. How can I copy
the background color to the new sheet? I don't want to manually copy
and paste for a particular cell. Is there a way to do it?

Thanks.

--
aaalissha
aaalissha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30651

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

Save your data and work with a copy of your file.....
Right-click on the SheetTab MoveOrCopy check the box CreateACopy
highlight (move to end) OK.......

This will create a duplicate of your entire sheet......then just rename it
to the new sheet name and delete the parts you don't want......it may be
easier.....

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"aaalissha" wrote
in message ...

Hi,

I have an excel sheet which contains lot of data. And I am creating a
new sheet with only selected columns from the former sheet. When I do
that it doesn't copy the background colors of the original cell. I
don't need any other formats except background color. How can I copy
the background color to the new sheet? I don't want to manually copy
and paste for a particular cell. Is there a way to do it?

Thanks.

--
aaalissha
aaalissha's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=503103

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
aaalissha

Hi,

Thanks for your response, I can do that, but the original file is
updated atleast few times a week. So it will be a tedious job to do.
Right now what I am doing is just copying the columns I want, e.g.
file2!A1=file1!B1 something like it,but it doesn't bring over the
formulas, I create file2 only once and whenever there is a change in
file1, I just use replace all in file2 to replace the file1 in the
formulas by the new file name. so it will automatically change the
values. Is there a way to bring over the background color?

Thanks.

--
aaalissha
aaalissha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30651
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=503103

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

Formulas cannot bring over formatting.

You must also copy the formatting when you make a new sheet.

Perhaps a template of the sheet with formatting applied would do the trick.

Open a new workbook and delete all but one sheet.

Do your formatting and FileSave asFile typeTemplate(*.xlt)

Name it SHEET and save it to your XLSTART folder.

This will be the InsertInsert Worksheet

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:46:26 -0600, aaalissha
wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your response, I can do that, but the original file is
updated atleast few times a week. So it will be a tedious job to do.
Right now what I am doing is just copying the columns I want, e.g.
file2!A1=file1!B1 something like it,but it doesn't bring over the
formulas, I create file2 only once and whenever there is a change in
file1, I just use replace all in file2 to replace the file1 in the
formulas by the new file name. so it will automatically change the
values. Is there a way to bring over the background color?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete

Have you tried the Format Painter? Highlight a column in the original
sheet which is also used in the derived sheet, click the format painter
icon, click the tab for the derived sheet and click the row 1 cell of
the appropriate column. I can't quite remember off-hand, but I don't
think it adjusts column widths.

Hope this helps.

Pete