Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
TC

Default conditional formatting to multiple cells

Hi,

I want to create a conditional format which will change the color of a cell
depending on the user's choice. The cells which I am referencing are
scattered througout the worksheet (i.e. E84, E88, E90, etc.) How can I set
this conditional format to multiple cells? Or is there a way to set the
conditional format to text within a cell? any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
TC

I also wanted to inform you that the conditional format will be applied to a
dropdown list. I currently have the list on sheet 2, but apparently
conditional formatting does not function across multiple sheets.

"TC" wrote:

Hi,

I want to create a conditional format which will change the color of a cell
depending on the user's choice. The cells which I am referencing are
scattered througout the worksheet (i.e. E84, E88, E90, etc.) How can I set
this conditional format to multiple cells? Or is there a way to set the
conditional format to text within a cell? any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SVC

Assuming that you have a limited number of choices in the cells to be
conditionally formatted (e.g. Yes, No, Maybe), you can set up the
conditionally formatting for one cell, then use the Format Painter to copy
the conditional formatting to the cells that you wish to apply the
formatting. Note that you can only set three conditional format levels per
cell (plus a nonconditional format for an entry that does not match any of
your conditions).

"TC" wrote:

Hi,

I want to create a conditional format which will change the color of a cell
depending on the user's choice. The cells which I am referencing are
scattered througout the worksheet (i.e. E84, E88, E90, etc.) How can I set
this conditional format to multiple cells? Or is there a way to set the
conditional format to text within a cell? any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
TC

Thanks for the response... Here is what I am looking at.

I have 15 rows with entries in them. 7 of those fifteen are invalid
options. When a user selects one of the seven in Cell B30, I want the cell to
become red. The 7 invalid cells are not in a consecutive range and they are
also on sheet 2 of the workbook.

"TC" wrote:

Hi,

I want to create a conditional format which will change the color of a cell
depending on the user's choice. The cells which I am referencing are
scattered througout the worksheet (i.e. E84, E88, E90, etc.) How can I set
this conditional format to multiple cells? Or is there a way to set the
conditional format to text within a cell? any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SVC

Thsat is a significantly more complex conditional formatting problem that you
originally implied. I'd suggest that you post your detailed description on
the Excel programming board.

"TC" wrote:

Hi,

I want to create a conditional format which will change the color of a cell
depending on the user's choice. The cells which I am referencing are
scattered througout the worksheet (i.e. E84, E88, E90, etc.) How can I set
this conditional format to multiple cells? Or is there a way to set the
conditional format to text within a cell? any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

So you are selecting a value from a dropdown list and if that value is one
of seven that belong to another list then you want to change colour? What
determines if a value is invalid? Meaning if you select an invalid value
where in the 15 rows list can you see that this is invalid, any rules like
greater than a certain numeric value or an invalid word?

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"TC" wrote:

Hi,

I want to create a conditional format which will change the color of a
cell
depending on the user's choice. The cells which I am referencing are
scattered througout the worksheet (i.e. E84, E88, E90, etc.) How can I
set
this conditional format to multiple cells? Or is there a way to set
the
conditional format to text within a cell? any suggestions would be
greatly
appreciated.

Thank you,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi

Could you not copy your 7 invalid entries to another area of your sheet
(or a different sheet) in a contiguous block and give this a name such
as "Invalid"?
Then in cell B30, your conditional format test becomes
=COUNTIF(Invalid,B30)0

--
Regards

Roger Govier