Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Andy

Default print highest character number

HI,

I need to print in a cell the highest character count from a cell among the
selected cell. for example if i select 500 cells in a column and supposed 3rd
column has 200 characters in it, which is the highest among all the selected
cells, i need 200 to be displayed automatically in some cell. I could not
find a relevant formula that will take care of this. Please let me know if
there is some way i can achieve this.

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Stefi

Would you give an example to clarify the task?
Regards,
Stefi

€žAndy€ť ezt Ă*rta:

HI,

I need to print in a cell the highest character count from a cell among the
selected cell. for example if i select 500 cells in a column and supposed 3rd
column has 200 characters in it, which is the highest among all the selected
cells, i need 200 to be displayed automatically in some cell. I could not
find a relevant formula that will take care of this. Please let me know if
there is some way i can achieve this.

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 02:35:02 -0800, "Andy"
wrote:

HI,

I need to print in a cell the highest character count from a cell among the
selected cell. for example if i select 500 cells in a column and supposed 3rd
column has 200 characters in it, which is the highest among all the selected
cells, i need 200 to be displayed automatically in some cell. I could not
find a relevant formula that will take care of this. Please let me know if
there is some way i can achieve this.

Regards

The *array* formula:

=MAX(LEN(rng))

where rng is your range of cells to test.

To enter an *array* formula, after typing it in, hold down <ctrl<shift while
hitting <enter. Excel will place braces {...} around the formula.

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi Ron

Just one small caveat for the OP, range cannot be a whole column.
I had thought that would be the solution, and tried {=MAX(LEN(A:A))}
which failed with a #VALUE error.
Changing the range to A1:A65536 resolved the problem.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 12:49:06 -0000, "Roger Govier"
wrote:

Hi Ron

Just one small caveat for the OP, range cannot be a whole column.
I had thought that would be the solution, and tried {=MAX(LEN(A:A))}
which failed with a #VALUE error.
Changing the range to A1:A65536 resolved the problem.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

I don't think so. You would have to change the range to A1:A65535.

This is clearly laid out in Excel's Specifications.

Also note that this is not a size limit, merely a limit on using an entire
column. For example A1:B65535 would be valid.

--ron