Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
brazen234

Default Delete A Word That Exceeds X Number Of Characters

Search didn't turn up anything, so help would be appreciated.

Simple as the title sounds. I have thousands of words in column A (one
word per cell) and I would like to delete all words 20 letters or
greater.
Thanks!

--
brazen234
brazen234's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9952

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

=LEN(A1) in cell B1 will return the number of characters in cell
A1......copy the formula down and do Copy PasteSpecial Values on column
B to delete the formulas.....then sort on that column and delete all rows of
20 characters or more.....

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"brazen234" wrote
in message ...

Search didn't turn up anything, so help would be appreciated.

Simple as the title sounds. I have thousands of words in column A (one
word per cell) and I would like to delete all words 20 letters or
greater.
Thanks!

--
brazen234
brazen234's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=497103

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

One quick and dirty solution, assume the words start in A2 with a header in
A1, in B2 put

=LEN(A2)<20

press enter, now select B2 again, then move the cursor with the mouse to the
lower right corner of B2 and when it changes to a thin cross double click
with the mouse to copy down the formula, now select A1 and B2 and do
datafilterautofilter, filter on TRUE in the help column. select A and B
and press F5, click special and select visible cells only, then copy and
paste somewhere else, finally remove filter (datafilter and uncheck
autofilter) then delete the help column or even the original column A

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"brazen234" wrote
in message ...

Search didn't turn up anything, so help would be appreciated.

Simple as the title sounds. I have thousands of words in column A (one
word per cell) and I would like to delete all words 20 letters or
greater.
Thanks!

--
brazen234
brazen234's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=497103

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Harlan Grove

"brazen234"
wrote...
Search didn't turn up anything, so help would be appreciated.

Simple as the title sounds. I have thousands of words in column A (one
word per cell) and I would like to delete all words 20 letters or
greater.

Another alternative: select the range, run the menu command Edit Replace,
finding ????????????????????* and replacing with nothing. Then with the
range still selected, run Data Filter Auto Filter, selecting blanks,
then run Edit Delete. No formulas needed.