Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jaclyn

Default How do I add times that were creted with "=TEXT(A2-A1,"h:mm")"?

I am trying to create a timecard which allows work shifts that span days. I
enter "time in" and "time out" for each shift in the format "mm/dd/yyyy
hh:mm:ss". To find the total time at the end of a shift I used
"=TEXT(A2-A1,"h:mm")" to subtract the time in from the time out, which gives
me the total hours and minutes worked each shift. Now I can't seem to find a
way to add all of the resulting shift times together to get a weekly total.

All suggections welcome. Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernard Liengme

Replace the formula by =A2-A1 and format [h]:mm (the [] stops 25 becoming 1)
using Format|Cells-custom
Now you can add the data in two or more cells.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Jaclyn" wrote in message
I am trying to create a timecard which allows work shifts that span days.
enter "time in" and "time out" for each shift in the format "mm/dd/yyyy
hh:mm:ss". To find the total time at the end of a shift I used
"=TEXT(A2-A1,"h:mm")" to subtract the time in from the time out, which
gives
me the total hours and minutes worked each shift. Now I can't seem to
find a
way to add all of the resulting shift times together to get a weekly
total.

All suggections welcome. Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bpeltzer

You could convert that back to a usable time with =time(a3) (if the formula
you have is in A3); format the result as a time. But even easier, skip the
conversion to text and back. Instead of =text(...), just use =a2-a1,
formatted as a time. This is readable, and still usable in further
calculations.
--Bruce