Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Colin Hayes

Default Extending Row()

Hi

I have the name of the month in cell A1 in each of 12 sheets.

From A5 onwards down the page I have the formula

=ROW()-4

which numbers each line. Ideally I would like the numbers to include at
the beginning the first three letters of each month. Each line would
then read Jan001 , Jan002 etc.

Can someone advise how to amend my

=ROW()-4

code to include these characters?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Colin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Trevor Shuttleworth

Try

="Jan" & TEXT(ROW()-4,"000")

Regards

Trevor

"Colin Hayes" wrote in message
Hi

I have the name of the month in cell A1 in each of 12 sheets.

From A5 onwards down the page I have the formula

=ROW()-4

which numbers each line. Ideally I would like the numbers to include at
the beginning the first three letters of each month. Each line would then
read Jan001 , Jan002 etc.

Can someone advise how to amend my

=ROW()-4

code to include these characters?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Colin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Elkar

Try this:

=CONCATENATE(LEFT($A$1,3),TEXT(ROW()-4,"000"))

HTH,
Elkar

"Colin Hayes" wrote:

Hi

I have the name of the month in cell A1 in each of 12 sheets.

From A5 onwards down the page I have the formula

=ROW()-4

which numbers each line. Ideally I would like the numbers to include at
the beginning the first three letters of each month. Each line would
then read Jan001 , Jan002 etc.

Can someone advise how to amend my

=ROW()-4

code to include these characters?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Colin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Colin Hayes

Hi Trevor

OK Thanks for that.

I've managed to work it out using your formula below and adding a code
to read the first three characters of the name of the month in A1.

=LEFT(A$1,3)&TEXT(ROW()-4,"000")

This gives me Jan001 etc all through the workbook and changes the first
three characters according to whatever is in A1. That worked out neatly.

Thanks.

Colin

In article , Trevor Shuttleworth
writes
Try

="Jan" & TEXT(ROW()-4,"000")

Regards

Trevor

"Colin Hayes" wrote in message
Hi

I have the name of the month in cell A1 in each of 12 sheets.

From A5 onwards down the page I have the formula

=ROW()-4

which numbers each line. Ideally I would like the numbers to include at
the beginning the first three letters of each month. Each line would then
read Jan001 , Jan002 etc.

Can someone advise how to amend my

=ROW()-4

code to include these characters?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Colin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Colin Hayes

Hi

OK Thanks - that's got it!

^_^

Colin

In article ,
?B?RWxrYXI=?= writes

"Colin Hayes" wrote:

Hi

I have the name of the month in cell A1 in each of 12 sheets.

From A5 onwards down the page I have the formula

=ROW()-4

which numbers each line. Ideally I would like the numbers to include at
the beginning the first three letters of each month. Each line would
then read Jan001 , Jan002 etc.

Can someone advise how to amend my

=ROW()-4

code to include these characters?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Colin

Are you aware that we also buy CDs, Vinyl and DVDs? Send your lists of
unwanted items to and well quote you a price€¦

You can browse and buy direct from my full list of items at these addresses :

http://s1.amazon.co.uk/exec/varzea/t.../026-3393902-9
050050

or:

http://www.CDandVinyl.co.uk

or :

http://www.netsoundsmusic.com/chayes

or:

http://chayes.musicstack.com

To DOWNLOAD the full catalogue click here :

http://www.chayes.demon.co.uk/chayes_full_catalogue.exe

Best Wishes ,

Colin Hayes.

TEL / FAX : (UK) (0)208 804 9181