Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Cathy

Default Change Cell Color Based on IF Statement

I need to make a correction to several cells in a spreadsheet and I would
like to know which cells were changed afterwards. So, I would like to create
an IF statement to make the changes, and I would like either the font color
or cell fill color to change so that I know which cells were altered.
Something like:

IF(A2 < 65 , A2 +12 and A2 Font= Red, A2 - 16 and A2 Font = Blue)

I don't think a conditional format will work as an audit trail in this case.
Is there a way to build the logic into the IF statement?

Thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kevin McCartney

Hi Cathy

Perhaps you can retain a copy of the original values in a hidden column "A"
that is locked and has white as the color text. You can then place
conditional formating on the other original values column "B", e.g. under
Condition 1, select Cell Value Is, not equal to, =$A$1, change the format to
you preference.

Hope that helps
regards
KM

"Cathy" wrote:

I need to make a correction to several cells in a spreadsheet and I would
like to know which cells were changed afterwards. So, I would like to create
an IF statement to make the changes, and I would like either the font color
or cell fill color to change so that I know which cells were altered.
Something like:

IF(A2 < 65 , A2 +12 and A2 Font= Red, A2 - 16 and A2 Font = Blue)

I don't think a conditional format will work as an audit trail in this case.
Is there a way to build the logic into the IF statement?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sloth

Excel has a built in "track changes" system. Click on Tools-Track
Changes-Highlight Changes. I like to use "Not yet reviewed" in the "When"
category, because I save so often.

To answer your question directly... I don't think you can do it using excel
functions, but you could probably create a macro that you highlight the cell
and click the macro button and it evalutates the cell and makes changes
accordingly. I think it would be simple for someone who can write macros,
but unfortunately I can't.

"Cathy" wrote:

I need to make a correction to several cells in a spreadsheet and I would
like to know which cells were changed afterwards. So, I would like to create
an IF statement to make the changes, and I would like either the font color
or cell fill color to change so that I know which cells were altered.
Something like:

IF(A2 < 65 , A2 +12 and A2 Font= Red, A2 - 16 and A2 Font = Blue)

I don't think a conditional format will work as an audit trail in this case.
Is there a way to build the logic into the IF statement?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Cathy

Thank you both for such excellent ideas!