Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
br549

Default Calculations in pivot table

I just made my first pivot table. One column is a pivot-table-generated
"Total". I want to add a column that is the product of Total and another
pivot table column, but can't seem to figure out how to do this. Help says
something about not being able to use Totals in calculations. Is there a way
around this?

To make my question clearer, here's an example of what I'm trying to do.
The pivot table makes the first three columns, counting occurrences of defect
type and Severity and producing a count it labels "Total". What I want to
add is a Weighted Occurrences column that multiplies Severity by Total (see
below). I can't get this last cell to work.

Defect Weighted
Type Severity Total Occurences

Z 0.01 5 .05

Y 0.1 7 0.7

X 1.0 2 2.0
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
wjohnson

Once you make the pivot table - you can't add anything to it - however
you can copy and paste the information into a different location on
your spreadsheet.

--
wjohnson
wjohnson's Profile: http://www.hightechtalks.com/m390

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi
With Type as a row Item and Severity as a row item, Count of Severity as a
Data item.
From the Pivot Table toolbar, dropdown on Pivot table and Select
FormulasCalculated Field
Title the Field Weighted Occurrences
In the Formula pane type =Count(Severity)*Severity
Add the field to the Data area.
If the new field shows under the original, drag the heading Data, and drop
it on Total and you will get the columns side by side as you require.

Regards

Roger Govier

br549 wrote:
I just made my first pivot table. One column is a pivot-table-generated
"Total". I want to add a column that is the product of Total and another
pivot table column, but can't seem to figure out how to do this. Help says
something about not being able to use Totals in calculations. Is there a way
around this?

To make my question clearer, here's an example of what I'm trying to do.
The pivot table makes the first three columns, counting occurrences of defect
type and Severity and producing a count it labels "Total". What I want to
add is a Weighted Occurrences column that multiplies Severity by Total (see
below). I can't get this last cell to work.

Defect Weighted
Type Severity Total Occurences

Z 0.01 5 .05

Y 0.1 7 0.7

X 1.0 2 2.0

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Debra Dalgleish

Assuming Severity is a numeric field, if you add another copy of
Severity to the data area, as Sum of Severity, you should get the result
that you want.

br549 wrote:
[...]

Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html