Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PB

Default Pivot Table Calculations

I am trying to run a pivot table report from an access database and I cannot
get the pivot table to sum. It will show a count, but not a sum. When I
choose the sum function, I get zero. I have used pt but this is the first
time that I have had a problem and I am wondering if it has something to do
with the way the database was set up in access.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

PB

Most likely the numbers are brought in as Text.

Ont the sheet in which they reside, format an empty cell as General.

Copy that cell and select the data.

Paste SpecialAddOKEsc.

Data should now be real numbers.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 10:59:03 -0800, "PB" wrote:

I am trying to run a pivot table report from an access database and I cannot
get the pivot table to sum. It will show a count, but not a sum. When I
choose the sum function, I get zero. I have used pt but this is the first
time that I have had a problem and I am wondering if it has something to do
with the way the database was set up in access.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

It sounds like the data coming from Access *looks* like numbers, but is
actually TEXT.

Try amending your query to convert it to numeric.

Does that help?

Regards,
Ron