Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Wesley Accellent

Default How do I convert a date&time (yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss) to date only?

I am trying to convert a date & time into a date only so I can get a pivot
table to do a daily summary. Is there a function that can convert? Is there
another way to do a daily summary with a pivot table?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
goober

Select the cell(s) you want to format.
On the Format menu, click Cells, and then click the Number tab.
In the Category list, click Date or Time, and then click the format you
want to use.
Note If you don’t find what you’re looking for, you can create a
custom number format by using format codes for dates and times. (taken
from excel help)

You Don't have to convert any of the date-time values, just change the
cell formatting to change how they are displayed.

hope it helps.

--
goober
goober's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19838

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernie Deitrick

Wesley,

With the date in A1:

=INT(A1)

formatted for date.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Wesley Accellent" <Wesley wrote in message
I am trying to convert a date & time into a date only so I can get a pivot
table to do a daily summary. Is there a function that can convert? Is there
another way to do a daily summary with a pivot table?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John Michl

Two ways that I know of...

1) In your data table, set up a new column with the funtion
=Round(A1,0) where A1 is the Date&Time field. The "time" is
represented as everything to the right of the decimal place where the
"date" is to the left. This basically converts all of our Date/Time
fields to midnight.

2) In the pivot table, use the Group and Show Detail to convert the
dates/times to "Days". Right click on the list of Date/Times then
choose Group and Show Detail Group. Click on Days.

- John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Wesley Accellent

Default How do I convert a date&time (yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss) to date onl

It hurts my feelings that it is that easy, but it works great.

Just what I needed.

Thanks,
Wesley

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

Wesley,

With the date in A1:

=INT(A1)

formatted for date.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Wesley Accellent" <Wesley wrote in message
I am trying to convert a date & time into a date only so I can get a pivot
table to do a daily summary. Is there a function that can convert? Is there
another way to do a daily summary with a pivot table?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Wesley Accellent

The round worked great. Thanks.

I tried the group function in the pivot table. However, when I selected the
column title and chose Group it responds "Can not group that section".

Any ideas?

"John Michl" wrote:

Two ways that I know of...

1) In your data table, set up a new column with the funtion
=Round(A1,0) where A1 is the Date&Time field. The "time" is
represented as everything to the right of the decimal place where the
"date" is to the left. This basically converts all of our Date/Time
fields to midnight.

2) In the pivot table, use the Group and Show Detail to convert the
dates/times to "Days". Right click on the list of Date/Times then
choose Group and Show Detail Group. Click on Days.

- John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernie Deitrick

Careful with ROUND - date/times after noon today will round to tomorrow....

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP