Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T.Morris-TX

Default Can a formula display output to an otherwise blank cell?

I work in manufacturing. I set up a spreadsheet for my boss with formulas so
that he only has to type in the part numbers he wants when scheduling our
machine and it pulls up all relevant data. His only complaint was that he
couldn't overwrite the data without erasing the formula. Is there any way I
could put the formula in another cell, but have it's output displayed in the
current one so that if he wanted to change the weight or color of a part he
wouldn't be erasing the formula that calls up the 'standard' part?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gary''s Student

Yes

Suppose the boss wants to use A1 for entry. You put the real formula in say
Z100 and in A1 you put =Z100. The boss can scribble all over A1 and not hurt
the original formula. He can always restore A1 if he/she desires
--
Gary''s Student

"T.Morris-TX" wrote:

I work in manufacturing. I set up a spreadsheet for my boss with formulas so
that he only has to type in the part numbers he wants when scheduling our
machine and it pulls up all relevant data. His only complaint was that he
couldn't overwrite the data without erasing the formula. Is there any way I
could put the formula in another cell, but have it's output displayed in the
current one so that if he wanted to change the weight or color of a part he
wouldn't be erasing the formula that calls up the 'standard' part?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T.Morris-TX

I was hoping for some way in which the boss could scribble away and not have
to restore anything as he's very unfamiliar with excell. Something that would
auto-restore the formulas, either on close or open, would work just as well
as displaying text to an alternate cell.

Barring that though, moving the formulas and linking them would probably be
my best bet though. Thanks.