Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete Walburn

Default Protest sheet but allow sort

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet that I would like to protect but still allow users to
sort and filter.
In Tools, Protect Sheet, I enter a password to unprotect sheet and put a
tick in the checkbox for Allow all users of this worksheet to: Sort.

But when I try to sort a column, I am told that the sheet is protected and I
cannot sort.

How do I get this to work?

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

Pete

Prior to protecting the sheet the column(s) to sort must be unlocked.

Any Autofilter must be applied prior to protecting the sheet.

You may be better off using a macro to unprotect, do the sort, then
re-protect.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 02:00:03 -0800, Pete Walburn <Pete
wrote:

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet that I would like to protect but still allow users to
sort and filter.
In Tools, Protect Sheet, I enter a password to unprotect sheet and put a
tick in the checkbox for Allow all users of this worksheet to: Sort.

But when I try to sort a column, I am told that the sheet is protected and I
cannot sort.

How do I get this to work?

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete Walburn

Gord,

Yes, I can see that a macro is probably going to do the job better. Thanks,

Pete