wichita6

Default way to automaitic sort sheet one numerical, sheet two alpha?

Hi,
I have two worksheets. one sorted numeric and the other is alphabetical. Is
there a way that when I change info. on page one that it will automatically
update those changes to the alpha. page? I am fairly new to excel but have a
basic knowledge of formulas. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,

JulieD

Hi

why are you storing two copies of the list ... why don't you just sort it
alphabetically or numerically when you need it?

if you really need two copies of the list is one of the columns "static", ie
doesn't change, where as related columns do change in the numeric list which
you want updated to the alpha list? You'll need a static column to achieve
what you want, unless you want to use code.

Cheers
JulieD

"wichita6" wrote in message
I have two worksheets. one sorted numeric and the other is alphabetical.
Is
there a way that when I change info. on page one that it will
automatically
update those changes to the alpha. page? I am fairly new to excel but
have a
basic knowledge of formulas. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,

Scott

Hi Julie,
This is a list that I am going to put on our web site for our agents to
view. it is a current carpet sample list and some of our agents view the
list in numeric and others in alphbetical.
I don't know a way to update this list automatically via the web so I'll
add & delete samples and upload this list as needed. This list changes every
other day!

When you say static, is this an item like the style name that is always the
same unless it is deleted from the numeric sheet? if so, the style and color
columns are static.

I'm sorry for my newbie ignorance :) but I am learning to love Excel!
Thank you very much!!!

"wichita6" wrote in message
I have two worksheets. one sorted numeric and the other is alphabetical.
Is
there a way that when I change info. on page one that it will
automatically
update those changes to the alpha. page? I am fairly new to excel but
have a
basic knowledge of formulas. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,

JulieD

Hi Scott

okay assume you have two sheets
Column A is the Style
Column B is the Colour
and
Column C is the Cost

- it doesn't matter how they're sorted.

Now in Sheet2, you want the cost to be automatically updated when you upate
it in Sheet 1 so the formula in cell C2 of sheet2 is

=INDEX(Sheet1!$C$2:$C$1000,MATCH($A2&$B2,Sheet1!$A $2:$A$1000&Sheet1!$B$2:$B$1000,0))
note, this formula needs to be entered with control & shift & enter, not
just enter.

- the formula can then be copied down the whole of column c (use the
autofill handle, bottom right corner of c2 - when you see a +, double click)

the same logic can then be applied for other columns (D,E,F etc)

Let us know how you go

Cheers
JulieD