Default Excel 2003 isn't updating my cells

We have a large worksheet with the cells in one column equal to the cells in
a different column. Some of the cells display the results correctly, others
show 0 even though when you look at the cell contents it shows it being equal
to the other cell correctly.
JulieD

Hi

check that calculation is set to automatic (tools / options / calculation -
automatic) if that is not the problem could you explain in a bit more detail
what you mean by:
"others show 0 even though when you look at the cell contents it shows it
being equal
to the other cell correctly."

how are you "looking at the cell contents"?

Cheers
JulieD

" wrote
in message ...
We have a large worksheet with the cells in one column equal to the cells
in
a different column. Some of the cells display the results correctly,
others
show 0 even though when you look at the cell contents it shows it being
equal
to the other cell correctly.

Thanks for responding Julie. The automatic is on. I'm looking at the
contents of the cell by clicking on it. The calculations in the column are
identifical for each field, i.e, cell EM1 =E1, EM2 =E2, etc. The contents in
E1 and E2 are static numbers, for instance E1 has 100, E2 has 200. EM1 shows
100 yet EM2 shows 0. I hope this helps. Please let me know what might be
causing this. Thanks!

MaryO

"JulieD" wrote:

[...]

CarlosAntenna

Are you sure the 200 in E2 is a number and not text. Enter =isnumber(E2) in
a blank cell. If it returns FALSE, and you can't easily change it to a
number you could put =value(E2) in EM2.

Carlos

" wrote
in message ...

"JulieD" wrote:

Hi

check that calculation is set to automatic (tools / options /

calculation -
automatic) if that is not the problem could you explain in a bit more

detail
what you mean by:
"others show 0 even though when you look at the cell contents it shows

it
being equal
to the other cell correctly."

how are you "looking at the cell contents"?

Cheers
JulieD

"

wrote
in message ...
We have a large worksheet with the cells in one column equal to the

cells
in
a different column. Some of the cells display the results correctly,
others
show 0 even though when you look at the cell contents it shows it

being
equal
to the other cell correctly.

JulieD

Hi MaryO

i really don't have any ideas as to what else could be causing this, however
if you'ld like to zip up your excel file & email it direct to me (julied_ng
at hcts dot net dot au) i'll be happy to look at it for you.

Cheers
JulieD

" wrote
in message ...

"JulieD" wrote:

[...]

Hi Julie:

I just e:mailed the document to you. If you don't receive it my e:mail is
mjolson at emplast doc com we have an ftp site I could put it out on where
you could retrieve it. Thanks!

"JulieD" wrote:

[...]

JulieD

Hi

i've emailed a reply, it appears that the formula
=+E228
was causing the problem, changing the formula to
=E228
solved the problem.
(and i suggested you use edit / replace to fix this on a global basis)

Cheers
JulieD

" wrote in
message ...