Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lee Harris

Default countif problem - am I bonkers?

It seems like it should be easy to use countif to look at a column and count
how many cells lie in a specific range but I can't figure out a simple way
to do it without creating inbetween columns first

since you seem to be have to use

COUNTIF(A:A,"<10") to count less than 10's, I thought COUNTIF(A:A,"0<10")
or COUNTIF(A:A,"0","<10") might be logical, but they don't work obviously
(not sure why you even need the " in there at all

I've had to make a column from 1 to 100, and use COUNTIF(A:A,Bn) where n is
2 to 101, and then set up ten sums to work out the values in ranges
1-10,11-20 etc

bah humbug!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rowan Drummond

What about:
=COUNTIF(A:A,"<10")-COUNTIF(A:A,"<=0")

Regards
Rowan

Lee Harris wrote:
It seems like it should be easy to use countif to look at a column and count
how many cells lie in a specific range but I can't figure out a simple way
to do it without creating inbetween columns first

since you seem to be have to use

COUNTIF(A:A,"<10") to count less than 10's, I thought COUNTIF(A:A,"0<10")
or COUNTIF(A:A,"0","<10") might be logical, but they don't work obviously
(not sure why you even need the " in there at all

I've had to make a column from 1 to 100, and use COUNTIF(A:A,Bn) where n is
2 to 101, and then set up ten sums to work out the values in ranges
1-10,11-20 etc

bah humbug!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

Try this:

For the range: 1 - 10 (inclusive)

=COUNTIF(A:A,"=1")-COUNTIF(A:A,"10")

Biff

"Lee Harris" wrote in message
It seems like it should be easy to use countif to look at a column and
count how many cells lie in a specific range but I can't figure out a
simple way to do it without creating inbetween columns first

since you seem to be have to use

COUNTIF(A:A,"<10") to count less than 10's, I thought COUNTIF(A:A,"0<10")
or COUNTIF(A:A,"0","<10") might be logical, but they don't work obviously
(not sure why you even need the " in there at all

I've had to make a column from 1 to 100, and use COUNTIF(A:A,Bn) where n
is 2 to 101, and then set up ten sums to work out the values in ranges
1-10,11-20 etc

bah humbug!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lee Harris

Lee Harris wrote:
It seems like it should be easy to use countif to look at a column and
count how many cells lie in a specific range but I can't figure out a
simple way to do it without creating inbetween columns first

since you seem to be have to use

COUNTIF(A:A,"<10") to count less than 10's, I thought
COUNTIF(A:A,"0<10") or COUNTIF(A:A,"0","<10") might be logical, but
they don't work obviously (not sure why you even need the " in there at
all

I've had to make a column from 1 to 100, and use COUNTIF(A:A,Bn) where n
is 2 to 101, and then set up ten sums to work out the values in ranges
1-10,11-20 etc

bah humbug!

"Rowan Drummond" wrote in message
What about:
=COUNTIF(A:A,"<10")-COUNTIF(A:A,"<=0")

Regards
Rowan

jeez, that was embarrassing for me! doh! of course - thanks very much!