liseladele

Default One line of list show up in different sheet

This is hard to explain...but I have a drop down list in a worksheet.
Whatever name is chosen in the drop down list I need to show up in a
different sheet in a different work book. Can this be done? Thanks!
Otto Moehrbach

If you want the Data Validation selection to appear in the same cell of the
same other workbook every time, then all you need is a formula in that cell
of the other workbook.
However, if what you want is to keep a log of the items selected, then
you will need VBA.
Post back and clarify what you want. If a log is what you want, include
the name of the other workbook and the name of the sheet in that workbook as
well as a column and a starting row number. HTH Otto
"liseladele" wrote in message
This is hard to explain...but I have a drop down list in a worksheet.
Whatever name is chosen in the drop down list I need to show up in a
different sheet in a different work book. Can this be done? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
liseladele

I'm sorry...I didn't explain clear enough. I need a function like the
vlookup function to return information from the selected line of a list. So
that in Workbook1, Sheet1 I can type Smith in cell A1 and if in a list in
Workbook2 on Smith's sheet, account 54321 is selected it will return that
account number into cell A2 in Workbook1, Sheet1. Does that make sense??
Can this be done??

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote:

If you want the Data Validation selection to appear in the same cell of the
same other workbook every time, then all you need is a formula in that cell
of the other workbook.
However, if what you want is to keep a log of the items selected, then
you will need VBA.
Post back and clarify what you want. If a log is what you want, include
the name of the other workbook and the name of the sheet in that workbook as
well as a column and a starting row number. HTH Otto
"liseladele" wrote in message
This is hard to explain...but I have a drop down list in a worksheet.
Whatever name is chosen in the drop down list I need to show up in a
different sheet in a different work book. Can this be done? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Harlan Grove

"liseladele" wrote...
I'm sorry...I didn't explain clear enough. I need a function like the
vlookup function to return information from the selected line of a
list. So that in Workbook1, Sheet1 I can type Smith in cell A1 and if
in a list in Workbook2 on Smith's sheet, account 54321 is selected it
will return that account number into cell A2 in Workbook1, Sheet1.

You're using different workbooks (files) or just different worksheets in the
same file? It's unclear from what you've written.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
liseladele

Different workbooks.

"Harlan Grove" wrote:

"liseladele" wrote...
I'm sorry...I didn't explain clear enough. I need a function like the
vlookup function to return information from the selected line of a
list. So that in Workbook1, Sheet1 I can type Smith in cell A1 and if
in a list in Workbook2 on Smith's sheet, account 54321 is selected it
will return that account number into cell A2 in Workbook1, Sheet1.

You're using different workbooks (files) or just different worksheets in the
same file? It's unclear from what you've written.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Harlan Grove

"liseladele" wrote...
Different workbooks.

If these other workbooks will always be open, then as far as I can tell from
how you've described your workbooks you should be able to use something like

=INDIRECT("'["&NameEnrtyHere&".xls]SheetNameHere'!X99")

where NameEntryHere is the placeholder for the cell address where you enter
Smith, SheetNameHere would be the worksheet name in Smith.xls, and X99 is a
placeholder for the address of the cell you're actually interested in.

If your workbooks aren't always open, you'd be best off downloading and
installing Laurent Longre's MOREFUNC.XLL add-in from

http://xcell05.free.fr/english/

and use it's INDIRECT.EXT function. You'd also need to include the
drive/directory path before the file name.