FF

Default Working with data?

Hi, I got some data from somewhere , all the numbers has (m) in the end ,for
example: 123(m) , 234(m), 456(m),...I wanna delete (m) from the end of all to
use them in my calculations.Any suggestion?
Nick Hodge

FF

If they are truly in brackets then you could do a replace (EditReplace) and
then use (m) in the 'what' box and nothing in the 'replace with' box

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"FF" wrote in message
Hi, I got some data from somewhere , all the numbers has (m) in the end
,for
example: 123(m) , 234(m), 456(m),...I wanna delete (m) from the end of all
use them in my calculations.Any suggestion?

sir Lancelot

"FF" wrote:

Hi, I got some data from somewhere , all the numbers has (m) in the end ,for
example: 123(m) , 234(m), 456(m),...I wanna delete (m) from the end of all to
use them in my calculations.Any suggestion?

Try using the find / replace function under the edit tab.
find (m)
replace (leave blank)

FF wrote:
I got some data from somewhere , all the numbers has
(m) in the end ,for example: 123(m) , 234(m), 456(m).
I wanna delete (m) from the end of all to use them in my
calculations.Any suggestion?

Depends on what you mean by "somewhere".

If you can put the data into a txt file (Notepad), then in
Excel go to Data Import External Data Import Data,
open your txt file, and select Delimited Other using "(".

That will break the data into two columns, the latter having
"m)". You should be able to import just the column with
the numeric data. But Excel 2003 always seems to import
both columns, even when I highlight only the one. You can
delete the column with "m)" after importing, if necessary.

If the strings are already in an Excel column, you can do
something similar by using the Date Text to Columns
feature.

Roland

Assuming your first piect of text, "123(m)", is in cell A1, use this formula
in a nearby cell, such as B1, and copy down.

=VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"(m)",""))