Eric

Default Conditional Equations in Excel

I am a pilot and am trying to put together a conditional equation concerning
aircraft weight and balance data. I want Excel to determine if a SUM falls
within a range of weights and then display the applicable forward and aft
moments, based on the SUM figure. I currently use a three-column paper chart
that gives me weights in 21 different 50 pound ranges (in one column), then
gives me the applicable forward and aft moments for each weight in the other
two columns. I am trying to make a spreadsheet for my Palm Pilot (using
Documents-to-Go which interfaces with Excel 2000). I've been beating my
brains out trying to develop an IF equation, but haven't had any luck. Can
anyone help me please?
Bernie Deitrick

Eric,

That sounds less like an IF and more like a VLOOKUP type of problem. See
help for VLOOKUP - just don't use a fourth parameter (or set it to True).

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Eric" wrote in message
I am a pilot and am trying to put together a conditional equation
concerning
aircraft weight and balance data. I want Excel to determine if a SUM falls
within a range of weights and then display the applicable forward and aft
moments, based on the SUM figure. I currently use a three-column paper
chart
that gives me weights in 21 different 50 pound ranges (in one column),
then
gives me the applicable forward and aft moments for each weight in the
other
two columns. I am trying to make a spreadsheet for my Palm Pilot (using
Documents-to-Go which interfaces with Excel 2000). I've been beating my
brains out trying to develop an IF equation, but haven't had any luck. Can
anyone help me please?

bpeltzer

Sounds like you should look at the vlookup function rather than a complicated
if. The 'table range' argument of the vlookup function will probably be
exactly your three-column paper chart. You'll want to omit the fourth
argument of the vlookup to get a range lookup, and be sure that your formula
references the table with absolute cell references ($a$1:$c$21, rather than
a1:c21).
--Bruce