JDub

Default Excel formula that sums if meets two requirements.

I am trying to set up a personal budget. I want the budget to sum the
amounts for a certain type of expense, say groceries, that lie within a
certain time period, say the entire month of August. I have tried using
VLOOKUP, but it only looks up one value and will not sum them. I'm not sure
if I need to use array formulas, DFunctions, or if I should be using another
program such as access.

Thanks for any help!
Biff

Hi!

Assume:

A1:A100 are dates
B1:B100 are expense types
C1:C100 are expense debits

Enter your desired date range in 2 cells:

D1 = 8/1/2005
D2 = 8/31/2005

Enter the desired expense type in a cell:

E1 = groceries

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100=D1),--(A1:A100<=D2),--(B1:B100=E1),C1:C100)

Biff

"JDub" wrote in message
I am trying to set up a personal budget. I want the budget to sum the
amounts for a certain type of expense, say groceries, that lie within a
certain time period, say the entire month of August. I have tried using
VLOOKUP, but it only looks up one value and will not sum them. I'm not
sure
if I need to use array formulas, DFunctions, or if I should be using
another
program such as access.

Thanks for any help!

Ashish Mathur

Hi,

You may also try this array formula solution (Ctrl+Shift+Enter)

=sum(if((range1=expense type)*(range2=min date)*(range2<=max date),sum
range))

Regards,

Ashish Mathur