dcost@sovereignbank

Default Deleting Duplicates

I have a hugh file (10,000 entries) and am trying to wean out the duplicates.
I inserted a column and ran If(B1=B2,"DUP",""). However, it's still time
consuming to delete all the duplicates. Is there a way that I could # the
duplicates (each dupl is #2)and just put in some formula to delete all the
2's.
GerryK

Select the range, use Data/Filter/Advanced filter
check Unique Records Only and "Copy to another location"
Put in an address to hold the result, eg[F1] then click OK. When
you're done, you will have the unique records in the new
place. You can delete the original range or not.

HTH
GerryK

"dcost@sovereignbank" wrote:

I have a hugh file (10,000 entries) and am trying to wean out the duplicates.
I inserted a column and ran If(B1=B2,"DUP",""). However, it's still time
consuming to delete all the duplicates. Is there a way that I could # the
duplicates (each dupl is #2)and just put in some formula to delete all the
2's.

Zack Barresse

If you really want to get down and dirty with duplicates, I would suggest
brettdj's Duplicate Master, found he

http://members.iinet.net.au/~brettdj/

HTH

Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack)
To email, remove the NO SPAM. Please keep correspondence to the board, as
to benefit others.

"dcost@sovereignbank" wrote
in message ...
I have a hugh file (10,000 entries) and am trying to wean out the
duplicates.
I inserted a column and ran If(B1=B2,"DUP",""). However, it's still time
consuming to delete all the duplicates. Is there a way that I could # the
duplicates (each dupl is #2)and just put in some formula to delete all the
2's.

dcost@sovereignbank

I ran into a problem with the duplicates. There are numerous colums in the
spreadsheet of which 3 columns have different information. Therefore, it is
recognizing it as an unique record. But I would like to delete it anyway. I
need the 3 columns to remain for the rest of the records. Can anything be
done?

"dcost@sovereignbank" wrote:

I have a hugh file (10,000 entries) and am trying to wean out the duplicates.
I inserted a column and ran If(B1=B2,"DUP",""). However, it's still time
consuming to delete all the duplicates. Is there a way that I could # the
duplicates (each dupl is #2)and just put in some formula to delete all the
2's.

Ashish Mathur

Hi,

You may try this trick.

Array enter (Ctrl+Shift+Enter) the following formula in column B

=IF(OR(EXACT(B1,B1:B10000)),NA(),OR(EXACT(B1,B1:B1 0000)))

Now against all duplicates it will show an error value.

Now press Ctrl+G and click on Special

Now in the formulas section, click on the Errors check box only,

Click on OK

Now it will highlight all the error values i.e. all the duplicates

Now do an Alt+E+D+R and Press OK

Regards,

Ashish Mathur