Push Latency

Default A simple listing desire...

Greetings.

I am compiling an archive of the recorded lectures at a university. I
am trying to have Excel automatically add a specifically formatted
reference number in its own column along with each entry on each row,
(something like "E001L... E002L...E003L, etc.).

I imagine that this is an extremely simple function, but it seems that
it the simplest of things is also often the most elusive. I think this
has something to do with either dynamic ranges or arrays...

Thank you, in advance, for any help anyone can offer!

--
Push Latency
Push Latency's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28364

Mladen_Dj

Use formula:

="E"&TEXT(ROW(),"000")&"L"

If your listing dont start in row 1, simply subtract number of previous rows
from your first row(). For example if you start in row 3, use ...ROW()-2...
in your formula, and resize formula to the end of lectures list.

"Push Latency"
wrote in message
news:Push.Latency.1xiiuf_1130335542.8711@excelforu m-nospam.com...

Greetings.

I am compiling an archive of the recorded lectures at a university. I
am trying to have Excel automatically add a specifically formatted
reference number in its own column along with each entry on each row,
(something like "E001L... E002L...E003L, etc.).

Push Latency

Thank you! However, i am still doing something wrong.

The formula you provided seems to only fill-in the first cell in the
list, but i need it to fill-in all the way to E001L - E700L or so, and
to automatically fit new entries into place.

Any idea what i am doing wrong?

Thanks again for your help, and in advance for any further
assistance...

--
Push Latency
Push Latency's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28364
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=479433

Mladen_Dj

Simply, select cell where is formula, move cursor to tiny black sqare in the
right-down border of cell (your cursor will change to black cross), duble
click it (or just drag it), and your formula will be pasted to the end of
list...

"Push Latency"
wrote in message
news:Push.Latency.1xioej_1130342745.0647@excelforu m-nospam.com...

Thank you! However, i am still doing something wrong.

The formula you provided seems to only fill-in the first cell in the
list, but i need it to fill-in all the way to E001L - E700L or so, and
to automatically fit new entries into place.

Any idea what i am doing wrong?

Thanks again for your help, and in advance for any further
assistance...

JMB

You could also use a custom number format.

Click Format/Cells, select custom and in the text box enter

"E"000"L"

When you enter number 1, should appear as

E001L

Note that this will affect only how the number is displayed on the screen,
excel will still store the values as numbers (which is important if you plan
to use this data as arguments in other formulas - but you could always use
the TEXT function to do the necessary conversion).

"Push Latency" wrote:

Greetings.

I am compiling an archive of the recorded lectures at a university. I
am trying to have Excel automatically add a specifically formatted
reference number in its own column along with each entry on each row,
(something like "E001L... E002L...E003L, etc.).

I imagine that this is an extremely simple function, but it seems that
it the simplest of things is also often the most elusive. I think this
has something to do with either dynamic ranges or arrays...

Thank you, in advance, for any help anyone can offer!

--
Push Latency
Push Latency's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28364
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=479433

Push Latency

Thank you for the help, it all worked as yall said it would.