Bobby

Default VLOOKUP is very limited

Has anyone else had problems with VLOOKUP if there are more than 250 rows the
VLOOKUP value defaults to 00000 instead of returning a value from the column
in which it is supposed to extract from.
Jezebel

Check that your data is properly sorted, and your range correctly defined.
There isn't an inherent limit: the function works as expected on correct
data, to the full limit of the spreadsheet.

"Bobby" wrote in message
Has anyone else had problems with VLOOKUP if there are more than 250 rows
the
VLOOKUP value defaults to 00000 instead of returning a value from the
column
in which it is supposed to extract from.

Bobby

The Data is a bunch of Last Names in one Column and First names in the next
and I've sorted the data properly. The Range also includes the entire table
to include a bunch of empty rows towards the end. Do you think that this may
be the problem? Thanks for the response.
YoYo

"Bobby" wrote in message
Has anyone else had problems with VLOOKUP if there are more than 250 rows
the
VLOOKUP value defaults to 00000 instead of returning a value from the
column
in which it is supposed to extract from.

Dave Peterson

If you're using =vlookup() and trying to match on the last name, then my bet is
the first match for that last name is missing the first name.

If you put this in B1
=A1
and leave A1 empty, you'll see 0.
Same with excel.

You may want to post the formula you're using and what you're trying to do.

Something like:
=vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false)
may help though.

--

Dave Peterson
Bobby

Here is what I wrote
=VLOOKUP(D18,'Employee Info'!$A$4:$E$503,5)
D18 is a validation pulldown(list) of Employee Names listed in 'Employee
Info' A-column.
5 is the column I'm trying to extract the information from that gives me
000000

'Employee Info'!$A$4:$E$503 is the employee information with a table sort
executed with the Last names as the left column from column C instead of A.
Looking at where I'm getting the error, it shows that the sort actually keeps
everything in alphabetized.

Column A is a consolidated (LAST Name First Name) list of 300+ employees.
I did this by combining a column of Last name and a column of first names via,
=C4& " "&D4 = (SMITH John)
C-column being Last Names
D-column being First Names

Kind of a strange way of extracting info, I know. Thanks for the suggestings.
Bobby

"Bobby" wrote in message
Has anyone else had problems with VLOOKUP if there are more than 250 rows
the
VLOOKUP value defaults to 00000 instead of returning a value from the
column
in which it is supposed to extract from.

Peo Sjoblom

You should use exact match in your formula

=VLOOKUP(D18,'Employee Info'!$A$4:$E$503,5,0)

or

=VLOOKUP(D18,'Employee Info'!$A$4:$E$503,5,FALSE)

that way you'll get an error when excel can't find the lookup value

Peo Sjoblom