Mary

Default extracting numbers from alphanumeric cells

I have cells with alphanumeric data, including spaces, e.g, "Accepted by
William A Bell at 4/11/2005 6:40:34 PM" which I need just the month, day, and
year information extracted.

I have found some information related to extracting numeric data but it does
cover the "spaces" issue.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this? Can it be accomplished?
Appreciate any assistance and expertise you can offer.

Peo Sjoblom

If there are no forward slashes except for the in the date you can use

=TRIM(MID(A1,FIND("/",A1)-2,10))

which will return a text date, if you need a numeric date to make
calculations with use

=--TRIM(MID(A1,FIND("/",A1)-2,10))

and format as date

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Mary" wrote in message
I have cells with alphanumeric data, including spaces, e.g, "Accepted by
William A Bell at 4/11/2005 6:40:34 PM" which I need just the month, day,

and
year information extracted.

I have found some information related to extracting numeric data but it

does
cover the "spaces" issue.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this? Can it be accomplished?
Appreciate any assistance and expertise you can offer.

Gary''s Student

There is a feature of Excel call text to columns. Pull-down:

Tools Text to Columns...

Tell the wizard that the info is delimited and that the space is the
delimiter.
The wizard will split that data into separate cells. Just pick the cell
with the date.
--
Gary's Student

"Mary" wrote:

I have cells with alphanumeric data, including spaces, e.g, "Accepted by
William A Bell at 4/11/2005 6:40:34 PM" which I need just the month, day, and
year information extracted.

I have found some information related to extracting numeric data but it does
cover the "spaces" issue.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this? Can it be accomplished?
Appreciate any assistance and expertise you can offer.

Mary

JE,
This is so cool too! Both methods worked exactly like I need them too! I
appreciate the three responses I received sooooo much! Saved me a lot of
time too!
Thank you!
Mary