PRASAD RAO SEERA

Default Friends: Please guide me

Dear Friends,

I need a small information. Recently, I appeared for Financail Executive
post in a leading private bank. And, in that interview, I am asked to rate my
skills with regard to Excel. I rated myself as "Accurate". Later, the
interviewer asked me, "r u familiar with the advanced topics of EXCEL or will
be using EXCEL just by and for punching figures and doing calculations. Now,
what I want to know from u is that What does he mean by "Advanced Topics"?

Please reply. I would be grateful to the guys who respond to this query.

Thanks a lot.

Prasad Rao Seera
David Billigmeier

It's hard to say, exactly, what he meant by "advanced topics", but I would
say the following are typically considered to be the more 'advanced' features
of Excel:

Using Macros (VBA)
Creating and Editing Macros
User Defined Functions (UDF)
Workbook Security
Consolidation, Web, Integration, XML Features
Customizing Excel
Syncronizing the use of databases, importing data

Hope that helps.

Dave

"PRASAD RAO SEERA" wrote:

Dear Friends,

I need a small information. Recently, I appeared for Financail Executive
post in a leading private bank. And, in that interview, I am asked to rate my
skills with regard to Excel. I rated myself as "Accurate". Later, the
interviewer asked me, "r u familiar with the advanced topics of EXCEL or will
be using EXCEL just by and for punching figures and doing calculations. Now,
what I want to know from u is that What does he mean by "Advanced Topics"?

Please reply. I would be grateful to the guys who respond to this query.

Thanks a lot.

Prasad Rao Seera

Ken Wright

Those would have been my guess too. Throw in Solver and IF / VLOOKUP /
SUMPRODUCT type formulas as well and you have a pretty fair list I think.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
A guess, but I would suggest he means things like

- pivot tables
- charts
- data validation
- Goal seek
- scenarios
- subtotals
- filtering

and maybe some more

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"PRASAD RAO SEERA" <PRASAD RAO wrote in
message ...
Dear Friends,

I need a small information. Recently, I appeared for Financail Executive
post in a leading private bank. And, in that interview, I am asked to
rate

my
skills with regard to Excel. I rated myself as "Accurate". Later, the
interviewer asked me, "r u familiar with the advanced topics of EXCEL or

will
be using EXCEL just by and for punching figures and doing calculations.

Now,
what I want to know from u is that What does he mean by "Advanced
Topics"?

Please reply. I would be grateful to the guys who respond to this query.

Thanks a lot.

Prasad Rao Seera

Bob Phillips

IF? LOL!

I doubt that most users would see SUMPRODUCT as an advanced technique Ken,
they probably don't see it as you do.

Bob

------------------------------*------------------------------*------------

----
------------------------------*------------------------------*------------

----

[...]

Ken Wright

LOL - Tickles me sometimes what i've seen people consider as 'Advanced'.

I remember helping someone at work on a spreadsheet once who had asked for a
bit of help with formatting. I accidentally deleted a number, and happened
to notice that the totals didn't change. Yep you guessed it, he had used a
calculator to sum all the values and then put the total in. I showed him
Autosum and he thought that was amazing.

Ditto one of the girls at work, who had values in say A1:D20, and then in
row 21 had

=A1+A2+A3+A4+A5+A6..........

She then started again on the next column, and did them all manually. When
i showed here Autosum she was amazed, but when i showed her how copy and
paste was relative, she was stunned.

Then the other day I'm trying to play a game that my daughter had on the PC
and I failed miserably to understand how it worked. Then my 5 year sold son
came in and showed me how to do it, and he was good!!! I give up <g

Regards
Ken.................

"Ken Wright" wrote in message
[...]

Bob Phillips

"Ken Wright" wrote in message

Then the other day I'm trying to play a game that my daughter had on the

PC
and I failed miserably to understand how it worked. Then my 5 year sold

son
came in and showed me how to do it, and he was good!!! I give up <g

What amazes me about kids these days is that they never seem to need to read
the manuals, and specifically refuse to. I see the death of RTFM!