markexcel

Default Find an empty cell and put a dash in it?

I want to make a worksheet function that will search for an empty cell
and then stick a character in it.
"IF" only seems to work with a cell's contents, not with the actual
state of the cell itself

All help appreciated

Marko

--
markexcel
markexcel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27925

David McRitchie

Hi Marko,
You have information in the subject not included in the question.

What does this mean?
"IF" only seems to work with a cell's contents, not with the actual
state of the cell itself

It was already mentioned that you cannot change
another cell with a function, that also includes itself. A function can
only return a value. If the function is trying to test itself for a value
then you have a circular reference and the problems that go with it.

A cell with a function/formula is never empty, it might have an empty string
for a value, but the cell is not empty if it has a formula or a constant..

You would need a macro, and would need to provide some more information.
What is the range of cells that the first empty cell is to be found in.
-- current column (based on active cell) i.e. down from the active cell
-- a rectangular ranger - across row left to right then next row left to right
Would an empty cell down from active cell be the one, if the next cell
down is not empty.
Where
--
---
HTH,

"markexcel" wrote:

I want to make a worksheet function that will search for an empty cell
and then stick a character in it.
"IF" only seems to work with a cell's contents, not with the actual
state of the cell itself

All help appreciated

Marko

--
markexcel
markexcel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27925
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=474206

markexcel

David and BJ. Thanks for your answers so far and sorry for the lack of
info.
Basically I have a table that will be saved as xpress tags text and
flowed into Quark.

Some of the cells are empty and I want to create a macro that will
stick a dash into any empty cells in the table.

So far I have figured out macro's to the point where I can style
columns up and concancate them. But this is all stuff that affects the
cell or column containing the function.
I feel I now need some sort of very sophisticated search and replace
but nothing jumps out, which indicates I'm probably on the wrong track
entirely!

More pointers welcome.

Marko

--
markexcel
markexcel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27925
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=474206

David McRitchie

Can't you simply have your program put in a CHAR(160)
variously called required blank or nonbreaking space
if the problem is that something other than a null string has to be
in the cell. HTML does not work very well with empty cells
or perhaps you want a Quark tag in the cell from your formula.

But you do not give sufficient information, finding someone who
uses Excel to input into Quark may be a bit difficult to find. So you'd
best describe exactly what you need just like we don't know Quark
and can't look over your shoulder.
..---
HTH,

"markexcel" wrote in message

[...]

markexcel

You're right David I'm not giving you the information you need but
honestly can't think of a way of describing it for you to help.

Thanks for your patience and if I find out how to do this I'll
certainly bung it your way, if only to satisfy curiosity.

Regards
Mark