DB

Default Referencing Sheet Tabs

Is there a way to use the "value" of a name in a drop-down list to reference
a sheet tab name in a formula?

A1 has a drop down list. When a name (Bob's Sales) is selected from the
drop down list, B1 shows the value of cell D5 from sheet "Bob's Sales".

Thanks for your help!!

DB

David I would list the text "Bob's Sales" to come from the drop down list. I
want the value in cell Sheet1 B2 to change each time another name is selected
from the drop down list.

"DB" wrote:

Is there a way to use the "value" of a name in a drop-down list to reference
a sheet tab name in a formula?

A1 has a drop down list. When a name (Bob's Sales) is selected from the
drop down list, B1 shows the value of cell D5 from sheet "Bob's Sales".

Thanks for your help!!

David Billigmeier

Assume "Bob's Sales" is displaying in cell A1 when you select it from the
drop down list (I assume you are just using a 'List' under data validation to
achieve the drop down list?) Use this formula, entered in Sheet1 B2 (Note
the worksheet tabs have to correspond exactly to the name in the drop down
list):

=INDIRECT(A1&"!D5")

Change the A1 reference to whichever cell is displaying your names.

Dave

"DB" wrote:

Is there a way to use the "value" of a name in a drop-down list to reference
a sheet tab name in a formula?

A1 has a drop down list. When a name (Bob's Sales) is selected from the
drop down list, B1 shows the value of cell D5 from sheet "Bob's Sales".

Thanks for your help!!

DB

David when I type this formula =INDIRECT(A1&"!D5") in I get a #REF error.
When I "evaluate" the formula the wizard shows INDIRECT("Bob's Sales!D5").
So it apearrs that the formula is missing the critical single quote around
Bob's Sales.

Thanks!!

DB

"DB" wrote:

Is there a way to use the "value" of a name in a drop-down list to reference
a sheet tab name in a formula?

A1 has a drop down list. When a name (Bob's Sales) is selected from the
drop down list, B1 shows the value of cell D5 from sheet "Bob's Sales".

Thanks for your help!!

DB

Bob this work just fine. Thanks so much to everyone that helped.

DB

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Try

=INDIRECT("'"&SUBSTITUTE(A1,"'","''")&"'!D5")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips