tafoyavision

Default averaging averages?

I have 3 worksheets, where on one I enter data (numbers), on the second I
would average those numbers with the exact formula =AVERAGE('1'!F:F). Now on
this worksheet there is a whole column of these for instance the formula
right below the one above is =AVERAGE('1'!K:K), =AVERAGE('1'!P:P), etc. On
the third worksheet I would like to average this whole row but I keep getting
the dreaded #div/0! error. I first tried =AVERAGE(magic3!I4:I34) then I tried
=IF(COUNT(magic1!I4:I34)=0,"",AVERAGE(magic1!I4:I3 4))
after lurking around here for some answers but same error happens. How can I
average cells that have formulas in them and that aren't always going to have
data?
Biff

Hi!

Try this:

Entered as an array using the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=AVERAGE(IF(ISNUMBER(Magic!I4:I34),Magic!I4:I34))

Biff

"tafoyavision" wrote in message
I have 3 worksheets, where on one I enter data (numbers), on the second I
would average those numbers with the exact formula =AVERAGE('1'!F:F). Now
on
this worksheet there is a whole column of these for instance the formula
right below the one above is =AVERAGE('1'!K:K), =AVERAGE('1'!P:P), etc. On
the third worksheet I would like to average this whole row but I keep
getting
the dreaded #div/0! error. I first tried =AVERAGE(magic3!I4:I34) then I
tried
=IF(COUNT(magic1!I4:I34)=0,"",AVERAGE(magic1!I4:I3 4))
after lurking around here for some answers but same error happens. How can
average cells that have formulas in them and that aren't always going to
have
data?

Alan

"tafoyavision" wrote in
message
I have 3 worksheets, where on one I enter data (numbers), on the
second I would average those numbers with the exact formula
=AVERAGE('1'!F:F). Now on this worksheet there is a whole column of
these for instance the formula right below the one above is
=AVERAGE('1'!K:K), =AVERAGE('1'!P:P), etc. On the third worksheet I
would like to average this whole row but I keep getting the dreaded
#div/0! error. I first tried =AVERAGE(magic3!I4:I34) then I tried
=IF(COUNT(magic1!I4:I34)=0,"",AVERAGE(magic1!I4:I3 4))
after lurking around here for some answers but same error happens.
How can I average cells that have formulas in them and that aren't
always going to have data?

Hi,

I see you already have a reply on the mechanics of your query, but I
would just add a note that you have to be careful averaging averages -
it can be mathematically dubious.

For example:

If I have data set A:

Average(1,9) = 5

Average(2,2,2,2) = 2

But,

Average(1,9,2,2,2,2) = 3

does not equal

Average(5,2) = 3.5

Just so you are aware.

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address

tafoyavision

Thanks to both of u...it worked perfectly!, man, I love having smart people
as a resource. Thanks again

"Alan" wrote:

"tafoyavision" wrote in
message