GStrawley

Default Trouble Sorting Averages of Randomly Generated Numbers

Hello:

Please excuse me if I am missing something obvious, but I am stumped.

I have created a worksheet that contains two columns of 200 randomly
generated whole numbers from 0 to 5 each using the formula
=ROUND(5*RAND(),0). (These are meant to be grades in a hypothetical
class of students.) I have a third column containing the weighted
averages of the two grades.

When I try to sort the student records according to the averages in
descending order using Data:Sort, Excel fails to do a proper sort.
Instead, I get what seems to be a bunch of randomly arranged records. I
even tried adding a fourth column using the VALUE function thinking that
the formulas were somehow throwing off the sort, but that didn't work
either.

This isn't even supposed to be the hard stuff. I still need to work
with this data in a Pivot Table!

Thanks,

George

--
GStrawley
GStrawley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26968

NlCO

Every time Excel makes a calculation it will refresh the Rand formula,
try pressing Delete and you will se what I'm talking about. No changes
but the numbers changed.
What you'll have to do is paste the values to average the results.

Saludos

NlCO

--
NlCO
NlCO's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26123

Paul Sheppard

GStrawley Wrote:
[...]

Hi George

Try copying the column of randomly generated numbers you want to sort
on and paste special values over the top, then sort,

--
Paul Sheppard

Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=401948

GStrawley

Thanks for the help. Using the special paste command did the job.

-- George