Michael L

Default Grades

Hello,
I am an Excel newbie, and for some reason my wife has prevailed on me
to help her build a spreadsheet for her middle shool grades. Here is
the problem: She wants to calculated weighted averages, which is easy
enough (in her system, homework is 25%, quizzes 35%, and 1 test at
40%). The problem is that she wants the spreadsheet to recalculate
automatically if a test is left blank. Since there is only one test,
excel will need to re-weight the averages. So far, I have been doing
it manually for the kids who miss a test, but I want to use the IF
(ISBLANK) syntax to automate everything. Can anyone help me?
Thanks,
Mike

--
Michael L
Michael L's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27787

swatsp0p

do you mean something like this:

=IF(ISBLANK(C2),FORMULA WITHOUT TEST,FORMULA WITH TEST)

where C2 is the cell that holds the test score. If that cell is blank,
the formula for scoring without the test is used, else the formula with
the test is used.

Is this what you are looking for?

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=472970

BenjieLop

Michael L Wrote:
Hello,
I am an Excel newbie, and for some reason my wife has prevailed on me
to help her build a spreadsheet for her middle shool grades. Here is
the problem: She wants to calculated weighted averages, which is easy
enough (in her system, homework is 25%, quizzes 35%, and 1 test at
40%). The problem is that she wants the spreadsheet to recalculate
automatically if a test is left blank. Since there is only one test,
excel will need to re-weight the averages. So far, I have been doing
it manually for the kids who miss a test, but I want to use the IF
(ISBLANK) syntax to automate everything. Can anyone help me?
Thanks,
Mike

I will ASSUME that when the test is left blank and there is a
recalculation to be done, the percentage weights will be modified as
follows:

For homeworks : 25/(25+35) = 42%

For quizzes : 35/(25+35) = 58%

Therefore, your formula is

=IF(C2=\"\",0.42*A2+0.58*B2,0.25*A2+0.35*B2+0.40*C 2)

where

A2 = homework grades
B2 = quizzes grades
C2 = test grade