Marie1uk

Default Counting number of grades in a row

Hi there,

I am a teacher and need to analyse my results for review and target
setting purposes.

I need the spreadsheet to generate results for the following:

Number of pupils scoring 5 grades (or higher) A* - C
% of pupils scoring 5 grades (or higher) A* - C
Number of pupils scoring 5 grades (or higher) A* - G
% of pupils scoring 5 grades (or higher) A* - G
Number of pupils scoring 1 (or higher) grade A*-G
% of pupils scoring 1 grade (or higher) grade A* - G
Number & % of pupils who were absent

In column A will be the pupil's first name, column B will be their
surname, C their gender and in columns D - O will be where I will input
their grades (not all cells D - O will necessarily be used). Using this
format what is the best formula for obtaining the necessary results?

Many thanks for your consideration,

Marie.

--
Marie1uk
Marie1uk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20984

Marie1uk

Any help greatly appreciated.

--
Marie1uk
Marie1uk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20984
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=384303

Lewis Clark

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking for. Do the grades range from
A to G? In the first 2 lines, are you looking for the number of students
who earned at least 5 grades of C or higher? If a pupil is absent, will the
cell for that grade be blank?

"Marie1uk" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Domenic

Hi Marie!

Assuming that D2:O10 contains your grades...

For the number of pupils scoring 5 grades or higheer (A*- C):

Q1:

=SUM(--(MMULT((D2:O10="A*")+(D2:O10="A")+(D2:O10="B")+(D2 :O10="C"),TRANSPOSE(COLUMN(D2:O10)*0+1))=5))

...confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER. For the
percentage of pupils scoring 5 grades or higher (A*- C):

R1:

=Q1/COUNTA(A2:A10)

Adjust the range and criteria accordingly. As far as the number and
percentage of pupils absent, can you provide more information?

Marie1uk Wrote:
[...]

Domenic's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10785
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=384303

Marie1uk

Grades range from A* (highest) to U (lowest), but U's are not needed as
part of the analysis I need, just A*, A, B, C,D,E,F & G. Pupils who
fail to turn up for the exam are classed as Abs on the spreadsheet,
where Abs will replace the 'grade' for that exam. The formula then
needs to count how many Abs marks there were for all pupils (305 ish)
and express them as a % of all grades possible, so:

305 pupils take for example 8 exams each = 2420 grades. 20 exams are
missed by pupils failing to turn up and are classed as Abs on the
spreadsheet so it needs to be able to count those 20 cells with abs in
as express it as a % of all grades possible, ie 20/2040. Hope this
makes sense :)

--
Marie1uk
Marie1uk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20984
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=384303

Domenic

For the total number of 'Abs'...

=COUNTIF(Range,"Abs")

For the total number of 'Abs' as a percentage of all grades
possible...

=COUNTIF(Range,"Abs")/2440

..and format as 'Percentage'.

Hope this helps!

Marie1uk Wrote:
[...]

Marie1uk

The 2440 was a hypothetical example to illustrate what I wanted, not the
exact number of grades that the spreadsheet will contain - sorry for the
confusion. The spreadsheet needs to count all cells that have abs in
them in a specified range and then divide by those cells that contain
A*, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, U & Abs to arrive at a % of abs marks out of
all possible grades.

--
Marie1uk
Marie1uk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20984
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=384303

Domenic

Try the following instead...

=COUNTIF(D2:O10,"Abs")/SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(MATCH(D2:O10,{"A","B","C","D","E","F","G ","U","Abs"},0))))

OR

=COUNTIF(D2:O10,"Abs")/MAX(SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(MATCH(D2:O10,{"A","B","C","D","E","F","G ","U","Abs"},0)))),1)

...which will return a 0 instead of a #DIV/0 error when the denominator
evaluates to 0.

Hope this helps!

Marie1uk Wrote:
The 2440 was a hypothetical example to illustrate what I wanted, not the
exact number of grades that the spreadsheet will contain - sorry for the
confusion. The spreadsheet needs to count all cells that have abs in
them in a specified range and then divide by those cells that contain
A*, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, U & Abs to arrive at a % of abs marks out of
all possible grades.

--
Domenic
Domenic's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10785
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=384303

Aladin Akyurek

Maybe:

=COUNTIF(GradeRange,"Abs")/COUNTIF(GradeRange,"*?")

Marie1uk wrote:
The 2440 was a hypothetical example to illustrate what I wanted, not the
exact number of grades that the spreadsheet will contain - sorry for the
confusion. The spreadsheet needs to count all cells that have abs in
them in a specified range and then divide by those cells that contain
A*, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, U & Abs to arrive at a % of abs marks out of
all possible grades.

--

[1] The SumProduct function should implicitly coerce the truth values to
their Excel numeric equivalents.
Marie1uk

Ok thanks,

I have decided to include a by gender 5 or more A*-U & 1 or more A*-U
analysis too and set up a test area of 4 pupils marks with data:

In A24 will be their first name, B24 will be their surname, C24 their
gender (M=male, F=Female) and from D24 - M24 will be a list of their
grades (A*- U). D24 - M27 will hold the test grades.

I need it to calculate a BOYS & GIRLS ONLY analysis of pupils getting
5 or more A*-U and 1 or more A*-U (number of boys / girls as well as a
percentage of boys / girls).

Thanks in advance,

Marie.

--
Marie1uk
Marie1uk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20984
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=384303

Marie1uk

Any help much appreciated.

--
Marie1uk
Marie1uk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20984
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=384303

Domenic

O24:

=SUM(--(MMULT((C24:C27="M")*ISNUMBER(MATCH(D24:M27,{"A"," B","C","D","E","F","G","U"},0)),TRANSPOSE(COLUMN(D 24:M27)*0+1))=5))

...confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER.

P24:

=O24/COUNTIF(C24:C27,"M")

For '1 or more A*-U', change '=5' to '=1'.

Hope this helps!

Marie1uk Wrote:
Ok thanks,

I have decided to include a by gender 5 or more A*-U & 1 or more A*-U
analysis too and set up a test area of 4 pupils marks with data:

In A24 will be their first name, B24 will be their surname, C24 their
gender (M=male, F=Female) and from D24 - M24 will be a list of their
grades (A*- U). D24 - M27 will hold the test grades.

I need it to calculate a BOYS & GIRLS ONLY analysis of pupils getting
5 or more A*-U and 1 or more A*-U (number of boys / girls as well as a
percentage of boys / girls).

Thanks in advance,

Marie.

--
Domenic
Domenic's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10785
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=384303

Lewis Clark

Domenic,

I've studied your replies to this thread with great interest. This use of
matrix math is very clever. Thank you for the lesson!

Lewis

Domenic

Lewis Clark Wrote:
Domenic,

I've studied your replies to this thread with great interest. This use
of
matrix math is very clever. Thank you for the lesson!

Lewis

You're very welcome! I too find it very interesting. :)

Cheers!