Martin

Default How cell ranges are handled by worksheet functions/row column matc

f you pass a cell range to a function like SUM e.g.

=SUM($A$1:$D$1), all of the range is used and SUM sums the cells A1, B1, C1
and D1.

However if you pass the same cell range to a function like IF e.g.

=IF(5 < 10, $A$1:$D$1, 99)

The range acts like either cell $A$1, $B$1, $C$1 or $D$1 according to the
column of the cell the IF formula is in.

I need to know how a cell range will be handled by every possible worksheet
function. There are tens of different worksheet functions. How can I obtain
this information apart from going through every function and trying to work
out how each one deals with cell ranges individually?

I have heard functions like SUM referred to as "aggregating" functions. Is
this the correct term? How can I get hold of a definitive list of all
"aggregating" functions?
Bernard Liengme

You might want to read Chips' white paper on array functions
www.cpearson.com
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme