Jackyl71

Default How do I identify cell color for comparison?

A coworker tasked me with finding this out:
Either by formula or by code, how can one return the color code for a cell?
What he wants to do is be able to say something to the effect of "IF cell a2
is GREEN, then add a2+b2, ELSE IF cell a2 is RED, then..."

I'm sure the answer to this is in an Excel VB book somewhere, but our
company is too cheap to buy one.

Thanks in advance,
Jackyl71
Gord Dibben

Jacky

Chip Pearson has a site that discusses colors(summing by, counting by,
determining index) and others.

Check it out for methods using the CellColorIndex Function found on Chip's
site.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:13:01 -0700, "Jackyl71"
wrote:

A coworker tasked me with finding this out:
Either by formula or by code, how can one return the color code for a cell?
What he wants to do is be able to say something to the effect of "IF cell a2
is GREEN, then add a2+b2, ELSE IF cell a2 is RED, then..."

I'm sure the answer to this is in an Excel VB book somewhere, but our
company is too cheap to buy one.

Thanks in advance,
Jackyl71

Gord Dibben

Thanks for the feedback Jacky.

Chip's site has many pages of excellent info, tips and tricks.

Check out the Topic Index while you're in there. Link found at bottom of page
I gave you.

Gord