George Lynch

Default Identify Label €” More than one cell with label

I have a user who gets this dialog whenever she tries to modify a formula.
She wants to multiply an existing formula by the value that is in cell AV5.
However, when she activates the formula bar, then types an asterisk and an A
(intending, obviously, to continue to type "...V5", the Identify Label dialog
immediately pops up and says there is more than one cell with this label. It
shows an "a" (without the quotes).

It asks the user to select the cell containing the label to use. If she
types in AV5, she gets a message saying "That cell does not contain a valid
label."

If she cancels the Identify Label dialog, Excel immediately closes down.

I have not seen such behavior previously and we are seeking an answer to
this nasty problem.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
CyberTaz

Hi George-

Not having any idea what the formula is that your user is attempting to
modify, this is just a guess, but a) try putting parens around the original
formula, then the *AV5, or b) in another cell use a formula such as =B30*AV5
(where B30 is the ref of the cell containing the original formula.

HTH |:)

"George Lynch" wrote:

I have a user who gets this dialog whenever she tries to modify a formula.
She wants to multiply an existing formula by the value that is in cell AV5.
However, when she activates the formula bar, then types an asterisk and an A
(intending, obviously, to continue to type "...V5", the Identify Label dialog
immediately pops up and says there is more than one cell with this label. It
shows an "a" (without the quotes).

It asks the user to select the cell containing the label to use. If she
types in AV5, she gets a message saying "That cell does not contain a valid
label."

If she cancels the Identify Label dialog, Excel immediately closes down.

I have not seen such behavior previously and we are seeking an answer to
this nasty problem.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

George Lynch

Hi Cyber,

Thanks for the suggestion. The parentheses work for the user and that is a
big relief.

However, I'm still puzzled by the Identify Label dialog and why it appears.
Even more puzzling is the total lack of any kind of reference material on
this issue. Another black hole within Excel...

Thanks again...