Dan B

Default Is this possible......?

Hi,

Here's what I would like to do. I want a spreadsheet for an annual budget.
I would want a separate worksheet for each department and another sheet that
would summarize all departments. It would be shared on the network so each
department manager can enter their budget request.

Is there a way to protect each sheet with a different password so that each
department manager can see only their worksheet and not the other
departments or the summary sheet. So, if they were to click on a worksheet
tab, they would have to put in a password before they could even see it.
That may be asking too much. Is there some way to accomplish this?

Thanks
Dan

Anne Troy

Version?
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Dan B" wrote in message

Here's what I would like to do. I want a spreadsheet for an annual
budget. I would want a separate worksheet for each department and another
sheet that would summarize all departments. It would be shared on the
network so each department manager can enter their budget request.

Is there a way to protect each sheet with a different password so that
each department manager can see only their worksheet and not the other
departments or the summary sheet. So, if they were to click on a
worksheet tab, they would have to put in a password before they could even
see it. That may be asking too much. Is there some way to accomplish
this?

Thanks
Dan

Jim Thomlinson

Hide (xlVeryHidden) all of the sheets except a Main navigation sheet.
Validate the user by their NT User Name ( In VBA environ("UserName"))
checking it against a list of names stored on a sheet somewhere. Based on who
has the book open unhide their departemantal budget sheet. Make sure to
protect your code so that no one can get into the sheets through the back
door.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Dan B" wrote:

Hi,

Here's what I would like to do. I want a spreadsheet for an annual budget.
I would want a separate worksheet for each department and another sheet that
would summarize all departments. It would be shared on the network so each
department manager can enter their budget request.

Is there a way to protect each sheet with a different password so that each
department manager can see only their worksheet and not the other
departments or the summary sheet. So, if they were to click on a worksheet
tab, they would have to put in a password before they could even see it.
That may be asking too much. Is there some way to accomplish this?

Thanks
Dan

Dan B

Sorry....2003
"Anne Troy" wrote in message
Version?
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Dan B" wrote in message

Here's what I would like to do. I want a spreadsheet for an annual
budget. I would want a separate worksheet for each department and another
sheet that would summarize all departments. It would be shared on the
network so each department manager can enter their budget request.

Is there a way to protect each sheet with a different password so that
each department manager can see only their worksheet and not the other
departments or the summary sheet. So, if they were to click on a
worksheet tab, they would have to put in a password before they could
even see it. That may be asking too much. Is there some way to
accomplish this?

Thanks
Dan

Dan B

Wow....sounds great, but I have no clue how to do that. You gave me a good
start in the right direction on researching how.

Thanks for the info and your help.

Dan

"Dan B" wrote:

[...]

Anne Troy

Hi, Dan. The reason I asked is because 2003 DOES have individual worksheet
protection. If you want something a little more "robust", you might want to
try something like this:
http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=531
or
http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=33
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Dan B" wrote in message
Sorry....2003
"Anne Troy" wrote in message
Version?
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Dan B" wrote in message

Here's what I would like to do. I want a spreadsheet for an annual
budget. I would want a separate worksheet for each department and
another sheet that would summarize all departments. It would be shared
on the network so each department manager can enter their budget
request.

Is there a way to protect each sheet with a different password so that
each department manager can see only their worksheet and not the other
departments or the summary sheet. So, if they were to click on a
worksheet tab, they would have to put in a password before they could
even see it. That may be asking too much. Is there some way to
accomplish this?

Thanks
Dan

Tom Ogilvy

Just some added information:

If your managers are motivated to see the sheets of other managers, then
here is a link to code (readily available and well known) to quickly remove
any protection based on built in excel capabilities that you might choose to
implement, particularly all those methods (that actually hide information)
already suggested.

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html

Tom Ogilvy

"Dan B" wrote:

[...]

Jim Thomlinson

Excellent link... I had not seen that one. I have code to crack passwords but
that is good insight into what Excel is doing and why it is so easy to crack.
Always good to learn something new... Thanks Tom and JE
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson