Vickie

Default fill handle + query

I can't seem to get the fill handle "+" sign to give the correct amounts when
I want to copy a formula down a column. It seems to skip every 2nd row with
the wrong amount or sometimes it will give a 0.00 sign.
Any suggestions.
Thanks in advance
Anne Troy

Vickie: What's the formula you're copying?
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Vickie" wrote in message
I can't seem to get the fill handle "+" sign to give the correct amounts
when
I want to copy a formula down a column. It seems to skip every 2nd row
with
the wrong amount or sometimes it will give a 0.00 sign.
Any suggestions.
Thanks in advance

Vickie

I am doing a simple formula of =A3*B1 or =A3*C1 etc and then using the + fill
handle bottom down each of the columns down about 20 rows or so and it
doesn't give me the correct amounts.

"Vickie" wrote in message
I can't seem to get the fill handle "+" sign to give the correct amounts
when
I want to copy a formula down a column. It seems to skip every 2nd row
with
the wrong amount or sometimes it will give a 0.00 sign.
Any suggestions.
Thanks in advance

Anne Troy

Do you have calculation on manual? (Tools--Options, Calculation tab). I
can't imagine what else it could be.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Vickie" wrote in message
I can't seem to get the fill handle "+" sign to give the correct amounts
when
I want to copy a formula down a column. It seems to skip every 2nd row
with
the wrong amount or sometimes it will give a 0.00 sign.
Any suggestions.
Thanks in advance

Vickie

No I don't I have on "automatic". I have just installed 2003 and I used to
have the same problem on 2000 as well. Thought going to 2003 was going to
improve the problem. Thanks for your help. Also looked at your website very
imformative.

"Vickie" wrote in message
I can't seem to get the fill handle "+" sign to give the correct amounts
when
I want to copy a formula down a column. It seems to skip every 2nd row
with
the wrong amount or sometimes it will give a 0.00 sign.
Any suggestions.
Thanks in advance

Anne Troy

Thanks, Vickie. Is this only one particular workbook? I cannot imagine what
else the problem could be. Can you give an example of the data and the
answers you're getting? And could you try the formula on a row, and change
the values it's working on (i.e., is Excel seeing the data as numbers?)?
Hope this makes sense.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Vickie" wrote in message
I can't seem to get the fill handle "+" sign to give the correct
amounts
when
I want to copy a formula down a column. It seems to skip every 2nd
row
with
the wrong amount or sometimes it will give a 0.00 sign.
Any suggestions.
Thanks in advance

Debra Dalgleish

Do you want every row to multiply by the value in cell B1? If so, use an
absolute reference, e.g.: =A3*$B$1

If that's not the problem, select one of the cells that's showing an
incorrect result. Click in the formula bar, and see which cells on the
worksheet are outlined with colour. Is there a value in each of those
cells?

"Vickie" wrote in message

I can't seem to get the fill handle "+" sign to give the correct amounts
when
I want to copy a formula down a column. It seems to skip every 2nd row
with
the wrong amount or sometimes it will give a 0.00 sign.
Any suggestions.
Thanks in advance

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Vickie

Thank you Debra, Ann and Dave for all trying to fix my problem. Debra gets
the 1st prize!!! woo hoo thank you so much I have been asking people for days
to get this fixed. I think the only difference in your formula to everyone
else that has tried to help me outside of the forum and my friends is the the
extra $ in front of the last digit. i.e I have done $ in front of B but never
in front of 1. And it worked! What a relief. Bless you!

Vickie

"Vickie" wrote in message

I can't seem to get the fill handle "+" sign to give the correct amounts
when
I want to copy a formula down a column. It seems to skip every 2nd row
with
the wrong amount or sometimes it will give a 0.00 sign.
Any suggestions.
Thanks in advance

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Debra Dalgleish

You're welcome! Thanks for letting me know that it worked.

You can use a $ sign in front of the column letter and/or the row number
in a cell reference. It locks that part of the reference, and prevents
it from changing if you copy the formula to another cell.