Old May 23rd 20, 09:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to make dependent drop down Lists

Hi, I need to select from drop down lists that need to be interlinked and dependent based on the choice made in the preceding list
Primary List - Coal, Gas Renewables
Coal List – Anthracite, Bituminous, Lignite, Peat
Anthracite List - Hi-grade, Low Grade
Bituminous List – Low Volatile, Medium Volatile, High Volatile
Lignite – No sub list
Peat - No sub list
Gas List - LPG, CNG, LNG
( No other sub lists)
Renewable List – Solar, wind, Hydro, Tidal
Example : If I choose Coal , the next Drop Down List will show the Coal List. From the Coal List, If I Select “Bituminous” then the next drop down list will show the sublist “Low Volatile, Medium Volatile, High Volatile. Now if I select “High Volatile” – the cell takes in the string “High Volatile”
Any help on how to make this happen .

Thanks

Old May 23rd 20, 12:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
A great YouTube video from Leila Gharani on doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mo4COng7Sg

Hope this helps
Old May 23rd 20, 04:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

[...]

See here...

https://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Old May 24th 20, 02:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 4:49:51 PM UTC+5:30, Rob P wrote:
Hi,
A great YouTube video from Leila Gharani on doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mo4COng7Sg

Hope this helps

Thanks . Will check
Old January 1st 21, 11:37 AM
Junior Member

Here are the steps to create a dependent drop down list in Excel:
Select the cell where you want the first (main) drop down list.
Go to Data Data Validation. This will open the data validation dialog box
In the data validation dialog box, within the settings tab, select List.
In Source field, specify the range that contains the items that are to be shown in the first drop down list.
Click OK. This will create the Drop Down 1.
Select the entire data set
Go to Formulas Defined Names Create from Selection (or you can use the keyboard shortcut Control + Shift + F3).
In the Create Named from Selection dialog box, check the Top row option and uncheck all the others. Doing this creates 2 names ranges
Click OK.
Select the cell where you want the Dependent/Conditional Drop Down list (E3 in this example).
Go to Data Data Validation.
In the Data Validation dialog box, within the setting tab, make sure List in selected.
In the Source field, enter the formula =INDIRECT(D3). Here, D3 is the cell that contains the main drop down.
Click OK.

I hope this is helps!
Lewis Bert