Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to create 2 dependent drop down lists from 1 original drop dow

I am creating a form where users make a selection from a drop-down list.
Depending on their selection, there are either one or two dependent drop-down
lists. I know how to do one dependent drop-down, but am not sure how to have
two separate lists dependent on one original selection.

For instance, from the orginal drop down, if there are selections A, and B,
how do I get it so that if they choose A, there is one drop-down from which
they need to make a follow-up selection. But if they choose B, there are two
different follow up drop-downs to select from?

Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Caroline,
Take a look to Debra Web she has the solution you are looking for

If this was helpful please click yes, thanks

"Caroline" wrote:

I am creating a form where users make a selection from a drop-down list.
Depending on their selection, there are either one or two dependent drop-down
lists. I know how to do one dependent drop-down, but am not sure how to have
two separate lists dependent on one original selection.

For instance, from the orginal drop down, if there are selections A, and B,
how do I get it so that if they choose A, there is one drop-down from which
they need to make a follow-up selection. But if they choose B, there are two
different follow up drop-downs to select from?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to create 2 dependent drop down lists from 1 original drop

Thank you for your suggestion, but I don't think that website explains
exactly what I am looking for.

It's not that I need three drop-downs, A B & C, where the selection in A
determines B and the selection in B determines C.

Instead, I need the selection in A to determine B & C.

For instance, if the first validation list has France and Great Britain, and
I choose France, there is just one dependent drop down, listing Paris, Lille,
Avignon, etc. But if I choose Great Britain, there should be two drop downs,
one listing cities in England (London, Manchester etc) and one listing cities
in Scotland (Edinborough, etc). The user would need to choose cities in both
England and Scotland, but those choices would not affect each other. Does
that make sense?

"Caroline" wrote:

I am creating a form where users make a selection from a drop-down list.
Depending on their selection, there are either one or two dependent drop-down
lists. I know how to do one dependent drop-down, but am not sure how to have
two separate lists dependent on one original selection.

For instance, from the orginal drop down, if there are selections A, and B,
how do I get it so that if they choose A, there is one drop-down from which
they need to make a follow-up selection. But if they choose B, there are two
different follow up drop-downs to select from?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Caroline

In that case, your list for Great Britain would have to be a continuous list
of all the Cities - London, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cardiff, Swansea
etc.
Then in column B your DV would be INDIRECT($A2) and in Column C it would be
INDIRECT($A2)

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Eduardo" wrote:

Hi Caroline,
Take a look to Debra Web she has the solution you are looking for

If this was helpful please click yes, thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Roger. So do you mean that there is no way to split the continuous
list? I just have to have two drop downs listing all the cities in Great
Britain and am not able to have one for England one for Scotland etc?

"Eduardo" wrote:

Hi Caroline,
Take a look to Debra Web she has the solution you are looking for

If this was helpful please click yes, thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Caroline

You can only do it if you have another "tier" in your system.
Column A Great Britain
Column B England
Column C London

That being the case, then for France, you would need to Select France in
Column A, and the Only option for France in Column B would be France, which
would have to be selected again, before you could select Paris in Column C.
Does that make sense.

--
Regards
Roger Govier