Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Trying to replace vlookup with xlookup and not using the indirect function

I have been using this for formula for awhile =VLOOKUP($A2,INDIRECT("'"&B$1&"'!$a$2:$b$12"),2,FA LSE) where Sheet 1 is a summary. In row 1 there are names which correspond to the sheets. So in B1 I have ATT and I have a sheet named ATT. In C1 I have GIS and I have a sheet named GIS.

On the summary sheet, in Cell a2 I have January, cell a3 February, a4 March and so on. On sheet T and GIS I have the same information but in cell B2 I have 50, in cell, b3 is 0, in cell b4 100.

In essence I want to be able to use xlookup so that it will look at the sheet name (T and GIS) on the summary page and pull the info from the corresponding sheet name (T and GIS).

Thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have been using this for formula for awhile
=VLOOKUP($A2,INDIRECT("'"&B$1&"'!$a$2:$b$12"),2,FA LSE) where Sheet 1 is a
summary. In row 1 there are names which correspond to the sheets. So in B1 I
have ATT and I have a sheet named ATT. In C1 I have GIS and I have a sheet
named GIS.

On the summary sheet, in Cell a2 I have January, cell a3 February, a4 March
and so on. On sheet T and GIS I have the same information but in cell B2 I
have 50, in cell, b3 is 0, in cell b4 100.

In essence I want to be able to use xlookup so that it will look at the sheet
name (T and GIS) on the summary page and pull the info from the corresponding
sheet name (T and GIS).

Thanks in advance

Since "xlookup" isn't a built-in Excel function I assume it's a custom
user-defined function (UDF). Post the code so we can see what it does now, and
how it can be modified to do what you describe here!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry, my bad! I found XLOOKUP() in 365 so I'd have to play with it to figure a
solution for you. Unfortunately, I have too much on my plate right now so
hopefully our resident formula wizard will chime in to save the day!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

George wrote:
=VLOOKUP($A2,INDIRECT("'"&B$1&"'!$a$2:$b$12"),2,F ALSE)

... In row 1 there are names which correspond to the sheets. So in B1
I have ATT and I have a sheet named ATT. In C1 I have GIS and I have a
sheet named GIS.

On the summary sheet, in Cell a2 I have January, cell a3 February, a4
March and so on. On sheet T and GIS I have the same information ...

If A2:A13 is January to December in all these workbooks, it doesn't appear you need lookups at all. If the formula above were meant for Sheet1!B2, why not

=INDIRECT("'"&B$1&"'!"&CELL("Address",B2))

? If the ticker symbols in row 1 wouldn't be changing often, you could even use formulas to create formulas.

B2: ="='"&B$1&"'!"&SUBSTITUTE(CELL("Address",B2),"$"," ")

which is a formula which returns text which looks like a formula. Fill this right as far as needed. Then select the entire range of these formulas in row 2, copy, and paste special as values. That converts formulas producing text which looks like formulas to text constants which look like formulas. Then use Find & Replace to replace = with =, yes, replace the equal sign with itself. That effective enters these as formulas. Then fill that entire range down into rows 3 to 13. The idea is to avoid INDIRECT.

If you don't have many of these other worksheets, there's another approach you could take. You have the worksheet names in row 1, I'll assume in B1:M1.. If you have XLOOKUP, you also have TEXTJOIN.

B2: ="=CHOOSE(MATCH(B$1,$B$1:$M$1,0)"&TEXTJOIN(",'",0, INDEX($B$1:$M$1&"'!B2",0))&")"

This is also a formula which results in text which looks like a formula. Copy, paste special as values, then press [F2] then [Enter]. Now fill B2 into B2:M13.

Avoiding INDIRECT and OFFSET isn't necessary when there'd be no more than a few hundred formulas calling them, but it becomes necessary when there could be a few thousand formulas calling them.