Junior Member

Default Returning a value from a range

I'm trying to create this attached bonus calculation sheet and I'm baffled on how to create a cleaner more simple formula that a huge nested IF function. I don't know where to go from here. I need to be able to enter a percentage into the yellow box and have the red box return the bonus amount based on whichever range the percentage falls into.
Attached Images

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Monday, March 11, 2013 7:08:22 PM UTC-7, Josh M. wrote:
I'm trying to create this attached bonus calculation sheet and I'm

baffled on how to create a cleaner more simple formula that a huge

nested IF function. I don't know where to go from here. I need to be

able to enter a percentage into the yellow box and have the red box

return the bonus amount based on whichever range the percentage falls

into.

|Filename: Excel Pic.jpg |

|Download: http://www.excelbanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=806|

Josh M.

In C2 try =VLOOKUP(C1,B5:C15,2)

Regards,
Howard
Member

Hi Josh M

Use the VLOOKUP with how the data you already have in place.

In cell C2: =VLOOKUP(C1,A5:C15,3,1)

You do not need the data in B5:B15

Have a look at this link for VLOOKUP.

http://www.myonlinetraininghub.com/?s=VLOOKUP

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh M. View Post
I'm trying to create this attached bonus calculation sheet and I'm baffled on how to create a cleaner more simple formula that a huge nested IF function. I don't know where to go from here. I need to be able to enter a percentage into the yellow box and have the red box return the bonus amount based on whichever range the percentage falls into.

Last edited by Kevin@Radstock : March 12th 13 at 12:38 PM
Junior Member

Smile

Thanks everyone. Problem solved.
Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh M. View Post
Thanks everyone. Problem solved.
Josh,

Out of interest and seeing as this seems to be a duplicate/secondary post from the post I provided you with a solution using the 'Nasty' stack of If statements.

1. Did the previous post I took the time to answer give you what you wanted?

2. In the first and this subsequent post your percentage ranges seem to be hard coded and if I inturpret correctly will not match in all cases.

For Example if its 1% to 100% bring back $X amount, if its 0% to 0.9% bring back $Y amount.

Q. What happens if you enter between 0.9% and 1%?

Regards,

Gizzmo