Junior Member

Default match some character in b1 to c1 and display on d1

Hello

Any functions to match at least some character in b1 to c1 and display it on d1?

like

b1 is clarice Leonie lee

c1 is clarice_lee @abc.com (without space)

d1 is Yes

OR
b1 is clarice Leonie lee

c1 is Carry_lee @abc.com (without space)
d1 is no

Last edited by clay8 : August 24th 12 at 08:22 AM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay8 View Post
Hello

Any functions to match at least some character in b1 to c1 and display it on d1?

like

b1 is clarice Leonie lee

c1 is clarice_lee @abc.com (without space)

d1 is Yes

OR
b1 is clarice Leonie lee

c1 is Carry_lee @abc.com (without space)
d1 is no
Are you only trying to match the first name? i.e. only interested in the Clarice bit?
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Are you only trying to match the first name? i.e. only interested in the Clarice bit?

I am trying to match a any possible combination ,

eg
clariceLeonielee @abc.com
clarice_Leonie_lee @abc.com

etc

the main purpose is to check if the email is correctly tied to the name but some poeple have common / similar name.

Any other suggestions?

opps forget to say thanks!

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Clay,

Am Fri, 24 Aug 2012 07:16:24 +0000 schrieb clay8:

b1 is clarice Leonie lee

c1 is clarice_lee @abc.com (without space)

d1 is Yes

OR
b1 is clarice Leonie lee

c1 is Carry_lee @abc.com (without space)
d1 is no

try:
=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(LEFT(C1,FIND("_",C1)-1),B1)+FIND(MID(C1,FIND("_",C1)+1,FIND("@",C1)-FIND("_",C1)-1),B1)),"yes","no")

Regards
Claus Busch
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay8 View Post
If you have a list of names and which email should be associated with that name you could create a VLOOKUP comparison. That would do the trick (if I've understood what you're trying to achieve of course).

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
If you have a list of names and which email should be associated with that name you could create a VLOOKUP comparison. That would do the trick (if I've understood what you're trying to achieve of course).
Nope , i am tring to determine if the email is a false one.

Like a person named moose way cannot(should not?) have a email horse_way @abc.com.

There is no way i can know if the email is correct, but i want a function that can help me eliminate those that are surly false. The email maybe outdated so those who are not around etc, can have their old email link to new user(horse way email with moose way email)