Junior Member

Default Randomize numbers

I have 2500 rows that I need to put in a random order. Does anyone know of a way to assaign a random number in a column for these rows? I need to be able to sort by the random column number so the rows are completely mixed up.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytyab View Post
I have 2500 rows that I need to put in a random order. Does anyone know of a way to assaign a random number in a column for these rows? I need to be able to sort by the random column number so the rows are completely mixed up.
Have a look at how to use =RAND() or =RANDBETWEEN()

That should do the trick.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"mytyab" wrote:
I have 2500 rows that I need to put in a random order.

[....]
I need to be able to sort by the random column number
so the rows are completely mixed up.

Suppose your data are in A1:A2500. Enter the formula =RAND() into B1:B2500.
Select A1:B2500 (the two columns), and use Sort to put B1:B2500 in ascending
order. Now A1:A2500 is in random order. You can delete B1:B2500.

Note: After the Sort, the values in B1:B2500 will change, and they will not
appear to be in ascending order. Don't worry about it. We only care about
the values in A1:A2500.