Junior Member

Exclamation Formating a row based on one cell's date

Hello,

I'm working on a spreadsheet that has columns A - G. Column A has the dates. I would like to create a format that will highlight the entire row if column A has a date within the past 7 days. In my example for of the rows should be highlighted. I was able to find formulas that only worked on one cell. Can someone help me with this? PLEASE & THANK YOU!

**Example**
7/17/12 DEA MA ACCT CONT Closed
7/13/12 HHI MA ACCT CONT Closed
7/10/12 MMG MA ACCT CONT Closed
7/16/12 ABC P ACCT CONT Closed
7/13/12 TAL W ACCT CONT Closed
7/20/12 HOK P ACCT CONT Closed
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee51 View Post
Hello,

I'm working on a spreadsheet that has columns A - G. Column A has the dates. I would like to create a format that will highlight the entire row if column A has a date within the past 7 days. In my example for of the rows should be highlighted. I was able to find formulas that only worked on one cell. Can someone help me with this? PLEASE & THANK YOU!

**Example**
7/17/12 DEA MA ACCT CONT Closed
7/13/12 HHI MA ACCT CONT Closed
7/10/12 MMG MA ACCT CONT Closed
7/16/12 ABC P ACCT CONT Closed
7/13/12 TAL W ACCT CONT Closed
7/20/12 HOK P ACCT CONT Closed
Hi,

Is this what you mean?

You use conditional formatting and lock the column using $ in the formula.

Have a look at the conditional formatting rule to see what I mean.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Tee51 Example.zip (5.8 KB, 63 views)
Junior Member

Thanks for the response but I'm looking for one rule instead of two.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee51 View Post
Thanks for the response but I'm looking for one rule instead of two.
That is one rule... but with an AND statement...

You could use =$A1=TODAY()-6 but that will also highlight rows with dates in the future.

Last edited by Spencer101 : July 17th 12 at 06:39 PM Reason: Formal amended to -6 rather than -7
Junior Member

I made a change to the "applies to" field now everything works perfectly....I have more last question. If I wanted to use the same rule but only highlight rows that had a status other than 'CLOSED' how would I go about it?

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee51 View Post
I made a change to the "applies to" field now everything works perfectly....I have more last question. If I wanted to use the same rule but only highlight rows that had a status other than 'CLOSED' how would I go about it?
Amend the same formula, to include it. You'd need to use AND for that.

=AND($A1=today()-6,F1<"Closed")

Change F to whichever column your "Closed" is recorded in if not F.

Hope that helps.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Amend the same formula, to include it. You'd need to use AND for that.

=AND($A1=today()-6,F1<"Closed")

Change F to whichever column your "Closed" is recorded in if not F.

Hope that helps.
When using =AND($A1=today()-6,F1<"Closed"), the format changes...see attached.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee51 View Post
When using =AND($A1=today()-6,F1<"Closed"), the format changes...see attached.
File attached
Attached Files
File Type: zip Copy of Tee51 Example.zip (5.8 KB, 35 views)
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee51 View Post
File attached
Sorry, my bad. Put a $ before the F too...
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Sorry, my bad. Put a $ before the F too...
The current formula is highlighting 7 days before and after today. Is there anyway to highlight only 7 days before?

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee51 View Post
The current formula is highlighting 7 days before and after today. Is there anyway to highlight only 7 days before?
Just add another condition to the AND....

=AND($A1=TODAY()-6,$A1<=TODAY(),$F1<"Closed")
Junior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Just add another condition to the AND....

=AND($A1=TODAY()-6,$A1<=TODAY(),$F1<"Closed")
Thanks for your help!
Senior Member

Smile

Quote: