RyanFC

Default merging sheet1 to sheet2

Alright, I am not sure if I should be utilizing a macro, a formula or what.
Here is my situation. I work in an office that is consistantly using excel.
Commonly I need to copy data from sheet1 and paste to sheet2. Here's the
kicker--what is on row 1 in sheet1 may be on row 999 on sheet2. I am looking
for a way to save me tons of time. What I would like to be able to do is
create a formula/macro that allows me to copy data from sheet1 and paste to
sheet2 using a common identifier that exists in a row. Therefore, the data
lines up where appropriate without me having to copy and paste.

I know there must be a way to do this. I need very 'dumbed' down directions
if somebody is willing to adopt this task. I will be watching for any
activity. Thank you
William Horton

Okay lets say Sheet1 is set up like the following
A1 = Name
A2 = Bill
A3 = Ryan
B1 = Number
B2 = 1
B3 = 2
Lets Say Sheet 2 is set up like the following.
A100 = Name
A101 = Bill
A102 = Ryan
B100 = Number
To get the values from Sheet1 into the appropriate cells in Sheet2 type the
following formula into cells B101 of Sheet2.
=VLOOKUP(B101,Sheet1!$A$2:$B$3,2,FALSE)
Then copy the formla down into cell B102. It should like the following
=VLOOKUP(B102,Sheet1!$A$2:$B$3,2,FALSE)

This should pull the correct value from Sheet1.

Hope this helps.

Bill Horton

"RyanFC" wrote:

Alright, I am not sure if I should be utilizing a macro, a formula or what.
Here is my situation. I work in an office that is consistantly using excel.
Commonly I need to copy data from sheet1 and paste to sheet2. Here's the
kicker--what is on row 1 in sheet1 may be on row 999 on sheet2. I am looking
for a way to save me tons of time. What I would like to be able to do is
create a formula/macro that allows me to copy data from sheet1 and paste to
sheet2 using a common identifier that exists in a row. Therefore, the data
lines up where appropriate without me having to copy and paste.

I know there must be a way to do this. I need very 'dumbed' down directions
if somebody is willing to adopt this task. I will be watching for any
activity. Thank you

RyanFC

The formula seems good on paper but when plugged into the appropriate cell,
Excel states there is a circular reference. Is there a chance that the
formula is incorrect?

"RyanFC" wrote:

Alright, I am not sure if I should be utilizing a macro, a formula or what.
Here is my situation. I work in an office that is consistantly using excel.
Commonly I need to copy data from sheet1 and paste to sheet2. Here's the
kicker--what is on row 1 in sheet1 may be on row 999 on sheet2. I am looking
for a way to save me tons of time. What I would like to be able to do is
create a formula/macro that allows me to copy data from sheet1 and paste to
sheet2 using a common identifier that exists in a row. Therefore, the data
lines up where appropriate without me having to copy and paste.

I know there must be a way to do this. I need very 'dumbed' down directions
if somebody is willing to adopt this task. I will be watching for any
activity. Thank you

William Horton

It worked on my machine. Ensure that you are putting the formulas in Sheet2
since they are referencing Sheet1. If you put them in Sheet1 by mistake you
will get a circular reference because they are looking at themselves for
values.