Gonecoastal1

Default Function 2 divide a number (ie $1.00) by % (ie 25%) to = ($4.00)?

Trying to simplify menu costing. Can anyone help? I know this should be
simple but it is late...I appreciate the help!
Mangesh Yadav

=1/25%

should help, or is it that you want a UDF

Function MyFun(a,b)
MyFun = a / b
End Function

Usage:
=MyFun(1, 25%)

Mangesh

"Gonecoastal1" wrote in message
Trying to simplify menu costing. Can anyone help? I know this should be
simple but it is late...I appreciate the help!

Gonecoastal1

"Mangesh Yadav" wrote:

=1/25%

should help, or is it that you want a UDF

Function MyFun(a,b)
MyFun = a / b
End Function

Usage:
=MyFun(1, 25%)

Mangesh

"Gonecoastal1" wrote in message
Trying to simplify menu costing. Can anyone help? I know this should be
simple but it is late...I appreciate the help!

I'm setting up a spread sheet where an appetizer item is mini spring rolls. My cost is 1.54. I want to keep the food cost on this at 25%. But I also have dessert on here at 2.41 cost that I want at a 40% markup. I want the spreadsheet to cost at what ever mark up I put in. Make any sense?

Paul Sheppard

Gonecoastal1 Wrote:
Trying to simplify menu costing. Can anyone help? I know this should
be
simple but it is late...I appreciate the help!

Hi Gonecoastal1

If cost is in cell A1 in B1 enter the following formula
=SUM(A1)/0.25, then format cell B1 as $

Change cell references to match your data

--
Paul Sheppard

Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=397123

Mangesh Yadav

Can you explain a little clearly, what are the inputs and what is the
expected output.

is 1.54 the cost of making the item and you want 25% profit on that, and
similar is the desert, then use:
=1.54*(1+25%)
and
=2.41*(1+40%)

Mangesh

"Gonecoastal1" wrote in message
I'm setting up a spread sheet where an appetizer item is mini spring

rolls. My cost is 1.54. I want to keep the food cost on this at 25%. But
I also have dessert on here at 2.41 cost that I want at a 40% markup. I
want the spreadsheet to cost at what ever mark up I put in. Make any sense?

Paul Sheppard

Hi Mangesh

Still not 100% clear what your are trying to get, but here goes:

In your original query you wanted $1.00 /25%= $4.00

Then later you said

I'm setting up a spread sheet where an appetizer item is mini spring
rolls. My cost is 1.54. I want to keep the food cost on this at 25%.
But I also have dessert on here at 2.41 cost that I want at a 40%
markup. I want the spreadsheet to cost at what ever mark up I put in.
Make any sense?

What I would do is put the cost in cell A1 and the percentage in B1, in
C1 put this formula =SUM(A1)/B1, format C1 as currency, you can then
change the percentage and see what effect it has on the result in cell
C1

- this would give the following results:

for a spring roll $1.54/25%= $6.16

for a desert $2.41/40%= $6.03

Not sure if that's what you want as you talk about a 40% markup for a
desert, if you want a 40 % mark up then the formula to use is
=SUM(A1*B1)+A1, which would give the following result

for a desert $2.41 +40%= $3.37

--
Paul Sheppard

Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=397123

paul

or have three columns
say column a is cost column b is desired markup column c is=a1*(a1*b1)
copy down and fil in as required
yum yum
--
paul
remove nospam for email addy!

"Paul Sheppard" wrote:

Gonecoastal1 Wrote:
Trying to simplify menu costing. Can anyone help? I know this should
be
simple but it is late...I appreciate the help!

Hi Gonecoastal1

If cost is in cell A1 in B1 enter the following formula
=SUM(A1)/0.25, then format cell B1 as $

Change cell references to match your data

--
Paul Sheppard

Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=397123

Mangesh Yadav

Hi Paul,

You probably want to address Gonecoastal1

Mangesh

"Paul Sheppard"
wrote in message
news:Paul.Sheppard.1u0fyy_1124453167.516@excelforu m-nospam.com...

[...]

nander

Just a note to keep in mind that Markup is not the same thing as Margin.
You might want to switch from thinking about markup to margin. On your
Income statement Margin is what covers the expenses to get your profit
NOT markup. When I compute my prices I have a cost column a gross
margin column and a price column.

If something costs you $1.00 and you sell it for $4.00
The gross margin is (4.00-1.00)/4.00 = 75%

So if in Cell A1 has $1.00
B1 has .75 or what ever Gross margin you want to
make
the price calculation for this item would be in cell C1 would be

A1/(1-B1)=1.00/(1-.75)=4.00

--
nander
nander's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6156

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Therese

Default Function 2 divide a number (ie $1.00) by % (ie 25%) to = ($4.0

Thank you Nander. This is exactly what I was looking for - Margin not markup.
It worked perfectly for me in my quoting.
--
Therese