Dave S

Default How do I convert Meters to Feet and Inches?

I need to convert Meters to Feet and Inch measurments. I need it in
fractional format I.e. 1/4, 1/2, 3/8, 5/16, 8/32.
Ex. 1 Meter
= 3 1/2 Feet
Dave R.

What I looked has 1 meter = 3.28 feet, not 3.5 feet. Put meters in E8 and
use this formula:

=INT(E8*3.28)&" "&TEXT(MOD(E8*3.28,1),"##/##")

"Dave S" <Dave wrote in message
I need to convert Meters to Feet and Inch measurments. I need it in
fractional format I.e. 1/4, 1/2, 3/8, 5/16, 8/32.
Ex. 1 Meter
= 3 1/2 Feet

Look at the CONVERT function in the analysis toolpak.

Here's an extract from the Excel 2003 Help file:

Distance From_unit or to_unit
Meter "m"
Statute mile "mi"
Nautical mile "Nmi"
Inch "in"
Foot "ft"
Yard "yd"
Angstrom "ang"
Pica (1/72 in.) "Pica"

Pip pip
Zorba

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
martin fuller

When I enter this formular or the one in 'Convert measurements' i.e.
=CONVERT(A2,"M","ft") the return I get is '#NAME?
Why is this and how can I obtain the result that one meter = 3' 3" Etc

Thanking you in anticipation.

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:49:02 -0700, Dave S <Dave
wrote:

I need to convert Meters to Feet and Inch measurments. I need it in
fractional format I.e. 1/4, 1/2, 3/8, 5/16, 8/32.
Ex. 1 Meter
= 3 1/2 Feet

I assume you want the reduced fraction. i.e. you would want 1/2 rather than
8/32.

If you have the Analysis Tool Pak installed, you may use this formula:

=mROUND(convert(A1,"m","ft"),1/32)

And custom format the cell as fraction with up to 2 digits.

If you don't have or want the ATP installed, then:

=ROUND(A1*3.28084*32,0)/32

(still formatting the cell as fraction with up to 2 digits).

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

ToolsAdd-ins, check Analysis Toolpak
BTW use lowercase "m"

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

wrote:

I need to convert Meters to Feet and Inch measurments. I need it in
fractional format I.e. 1/4, 1/2, 3/8, 5/16, 8/32.
Ex. 1 Meter
= 3 1/2 Feet

I assume you want the reduced fraction. i.e. you would want 1/2 rather
than
8/32.

If you have the Analysis Tool Pak installed, you may use this formula:

=mROUND(convert(A1,"m","ft"),1/32)

And custom format the cell as fraction with up to 2 digits.

If you don't have or want the ATP installed, then:

=ROUND(A1*3.28084*32,0)/32

(still formatting the cell as fraction with up to 2 digits).

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
martin fuller

Niek,
Yes the addin was not ticked. Ticked this and it works. Why on earth does
not MS put this on their help pages?!
Many thanks for your help and prompt reply -Thank you

wrote:

I need to convert Meters to Feet and Inch measurments. I need it in
fractional format I.e. 1/4, 1/2, 3/8, 5/16, 8/32.
Ex. 1 Meter
= 3 1/2 Feet

I assume you want the reduced fraction. i.e. you would want 1/2 rather
than
8/32.

If you have the Analysis Tool Pak installed, you may use this formula:

=mROUND(convert(A1,"m","ft"),1/32)

And custom format the cell as fraction with up to 2 digits.

If you don't have or want the ATP installed, then:

=ROUND(A1*3.28084*32,0)/32

(still formatting the cell as fraction with up to 2 digits).

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

I don't know about your HELP, but mine says:

"If this function is not available, and returns the #NAME? error, install
and load the Analysis ToolPak add-in."