Jack

Default How can I format a cell to accept feet and inches and add them

I am trying to get a formula to add the inches and feet together. The
program will add a base of ten with no problem. How do I get the program to
accept additions on a twelve base? I do not want to use separate columns for
feet and inches. In other words if I wanted to add 5' 06" to 6' 05" the real
answer would be 11' 11" but the program gives an answer of 12.01. How do I
stop this? Thank you in advance for any assistance you may have in this
matter.

K.S.Warrier

hi,
If you can use 3 columns (in one row),one for feet,one for inches and one
for converting feet and inches as total inches(feet*12+inches).This can be
continued for others below this row.if you want to get total of thes two
values, first total the total of inches column and then convert this as feet
and inches by formula
1)in feet cell =int('total inches'/12) and 2)in inches cell =mod('total
inches',12)
which will give the desired result.
K.S.Warrier

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Here is one I used for SQUARE fee in writing an estimating program for a
builer client.
=(C14+IF(D14<" ",D14/12,0))*(E14+IF(F14<" ",F14/12,0))

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Jack" wrote in message
I am trying to get a formula to add the inches and feet together. The
program will add a base of ten with no problem. How do I get the program

accept additions on a twelve base? I do not want to use separate columns

for
feet and inches. In other words if I wanted to add 5' 06" to 6' 05" the

real
answer would be 11' 11" but the program gives an answer of 12.01. How do

stop this? Thank you in advance for any assistance you may have in this
matter.

Gord Dibben

Jack

Have a look at Chip Pearson's site for working with feet and inches using the
ATP DOLLARDE and DOLLARFR functions.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/fractional.htm

Gord Dibben Excel MVP