Default Calculate number based on percentage

Hello -
My algebra days seem to be a little hazy today. Could someone please
assist on the basic calculation to find the original number.

example 1:
This years sales are $3700, a decrease of 11.6%. What would last years
sales be?

example 2:
This years sales are $4500, an increase of 151%. What would last years
sales be?

Thanks for any insight on this calculation.
Dan

Manish Bajpai

Dan, answers to your examples are as under:

1. This years sales are $3700, a decrease of 11.6%. Last years
sales would be $4185.52.

Formula : =3700/(100%-11.60%)

2.This years sales are $4500, an increase of 151%. Last years
sales would be $2980.13

Formula : 4500/151%

Thanks,

Manish Bajpai

" wrote:

Hello -
My algebra days seem to be a little hazy today. Could someone please
assist on the basic calculation to find the original number.

example 1:
This years sales are $3700, a decrease of 11.6%. What would last years
sales be?

example 2:
This years sales are $4500, an increase of 151%. What would last years
sales be?

Thanks for any insight on this calculation.
Dan

Dan

Thanks, this is great!

Formula : =3700/(100%-11.60%)
Formula : 4500/151%

Is there one general formula to use for both scenerios, so I wouldn't
have to differentiate between positive and negative changes?

David Billigmeier

Ya, in your case you can use the formula:

<Current Year Sales = <Last Years Sales * (1+<percentage change)

With variables located within <. Just solve for any variable you are
trying to find given you know the other 2. Note that if you have a decrease
in percentage you use a negative number for <percentage change

--
David Billigmeier

"Dan" wrote:

Thanks, this is great!

Formula : =3700/(100%-11.60%)
Formula : 4500/151%

Is there one general formula to use for both scenerios, so I wouldn't
have to differentiate between positive and negative changes?

Manish Bajpai

David,

Dan's response proves that I was right in dividing 4500/151%. Dan was
looking for 151% increase and not 251% increase.

Dan,

It is my pleasure.

Why do you worry for future, when we guys are here to help you out.

Manish Bajpai

" wrote:

Hello -
My algebra days seem to be a little hazy today. Could someone please
assist on the basic calculation to find the original number.

example 1:
This years sales are $3700, a decrease of 11.6%. What would last years
sales be?

example 2:
This years sales are $4500, an increase of 151%. What would last years
sales be?

Thanks for any insight on this calculation.
Dan

David Billigmeier

Manish:
151% increase DOES NOT mean multiplying a number by 1.51, it means
multiplying by 2.51. Check it for yourself:

Take a simple example: 150% increase from 2 means doubling 2 one time and
then adding another 50%... obtaining 2+2+1=5. My answer would provide the
right answer, or 2*(150%+1)=2*(1.5+1)=2*2.5=5. Your answer would only yield
3.

Look at the formula you gave for #1, 3700/(100%-11.60%). You have to do the
same thing for increases... you only had 4500/151%, you need
4500/(100%+151%)=4500/(2.51)

--
David Billigmeier

" wrote:

Hello -
My algebra days seem to be a little hazy today. Could someone please
assist on the basic calculation to find the original number.

example 1:
This years sales are $3700, a decrease of 11.6%. What would last years
sales be?

example 2:
This years sales are $4500, an increase of 151%. What would last years
sales be?

Thanks for any insight on this calculation.
Dan

Dan

Hmm, this "general" formula doesn't seem to work for the negative
changes. Any other thoughts?

David Billigmeier

Dan -
It actually will work, just use like so:

<Current Year Sales = <Last Years Sales * (1+<percentage change)

So in your example, you had current year sales of 3700 and a decrease of
11.6%, so the formula would become (remember I said use a negative percentage
for decreases):
3700 = <Last Years Sales * (1+(-.116))
3700 = <Last Years Sales * (1-.116)
3700 = <Last Years Sales * .884
Last Years Sales = 3700/.884
Last Years Sales = 4185.52

If you are getting confused by Manish (when he says an increase in sales by
151% means multiplying by 1.51), he is wrong... look:

Once again use your information:

4500 = <Last Years Sales * (1 + 1.51)
4500 = <Last Years Sales * 2.51
Last Years Sales = 4500/2.51
Last Years Sales = 1792.83.

Hope this helps,
--
David Billigmeier

"Dan" wrote:

Hmm, this "general" formula doesn't seem to work for the negative
changes. Any other thoughts?

Dan

Great...got it now! Thanks!! :o)

Manish Bajpai

Dan,

No point in memoraizing a formula.

Simply understand the logic and you will never miss it:

If last year's sales = X,

Rate of increase or decrease = r%, and

This Year's revenue = 1000.

Then, 1000=X*(100%+r%) === note if r is to be mentioned with its symbol
i.e.ngeative for a decrease and positive for increase.

Therefore,

X = 1000/(100% + r%)

Please make sure while arrivng at r% that whether your this year's revenue
is grown by 51% over last year or grown by 151% over last year. If it ilater
case i.e. grown by 151% over last year then David is right.

Thanks,

Manish Bajpai

"Dan" wrote:

Hmm, this "general" formula doesn't seem to work for the negative
changes. Any other thoughts?

excelking54

does anyone know how to edit the algorythms?

--
excelking54
excelking54's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28348