pkbro

Default Easy one

Okay, I'm fairly certain that this is going to be an easy question to
answer, but I've tried looking up the answer--and to be fair, I don't
know what category to try to find it under.

What I'm doing is this: I'm building a spreadsheet for several
little-league softball teams. I am entering each player, his or her
age, whether they are a "him" or a "her", and what position they play.
I need the Spreadsheet to be fully searchable--or at least "sortable"
(if "sortable" is a word).

What I want to be able to do is this: be able to sort the data based on
the child's age and what position they play.

The problem I'm having is this: several of the children play multiple
positions.

Let's say we have little Billy. Billy plays third baseman, and he's an
alternate pitcher. When I sort the data according to position, I'd like
the following to happen. If I sort for pitchers, I want Billy's name to
come up, but if I sort for Third Basemen, I want his name to come up
too. How do I enter two different sets of data into the same column and
get excel to attach it to the same player without entering the player
into the database twice?

--
pkbro
pkbro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24472

tobriant

One option: Enter each player's position into the cell you will use to
filter (e.g., pitcher, third, second). When using auto filter for the
column, select "custom". Then, use the "contains" option in the drop
down menu and type in the position (e.g., pitcher). This will return
all the rows with that as part of the position field.

--
tobriant
tobriant's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25155